Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Adults-only Trip

I filed our taxes yesterday.  Wham, bam, thank you Uncle Sam. 

Really, this year was pretty simple.  It may be because I've been doing my own (and eventually Josh's) taxes since 1996.  Deductions are easy to figure out.  We had one W-2 and we spent all of 2010 in Arizona, so only one state to file in.  Easy.  Plus, Josh didn't take all of the deductions allowed to him at work, so we knew we had overpaid our taxes and we'd be getting a refund.

So..... what to do, what to do?

First, good-bye credit cards.  All of them.  Luckily, we have a relatively low balance of them (much less than the national average of $15,788). 

So now.... what to do, what to do?

I'll tell you what the heck to do.  You take your husband and go away for a few days.  Why?  Because the last time you did it was less than 24 hours about 45 miles away from home.  The time before that was about four days with your theatre group and you had to attend seminars and performances and not even sleep in the same room as each other.  And the time before that you didn't have kids. 

We tried to get Josh's schedule clear for the entire week of Spring Break, but it seems that everyone else had the same idea.  We were originally going to visit family in Colorado, but since Josh has to work part of Spring Break, we had to downsize our plans.

Luckily my parents have accepted the invitation for the kids to stay with them for a few days.  And then Josh and I will be off.

And so now..... where to go, where to go?

I have a feeling Southern California will be accepting us and our reservations in one way or another.  I know you're dying to know more information.  I'll happily share it as soon as I know it myself.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have filed yesterday, but we want to make sure there isn't a 1099 form floating around out there...it's been a foggy year. Anywho, we're planning a trip too! And it seems like we'll be headed your way! (YAY!) Not sure on dates, but it's so much easier when all that refund can go into a savings account. Have fun planning your trip!

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!!! Yay for adults only trips! Mike and I are going away to Florida for a few days and then coming home and going to Cali with all the kids the week of Spring break. It is a LONG overdue trip. :)

Sometimes we just need that time away from "life", ya know? ;)

Have fun!!!!

Jabon said...

That is fantastic Shelly. I am glad you guys can do that. Tara and I won't be taking our annual trip this year due to her new job and no vacation for a year. However, next year should be her graduation cruise to blue water and white sand!

Lori said...

You should definitely cruise. You don't have to worry about food, cause it's all you can eat everywhere on the boat all day long! It's awesome. I want to do that again. Have fun with whatever you're doing though. I'm jealous!!!!

Merinda Reeder said...

Wahooo!
Our return will likely fund a move. Of course, we've threatened to move before; so don't hold your breath.