Friday, February 18, 2011

If You're Going to Dream, Dream Big

I have dreams.  Big dreams. 

Dreams so big that I usually don't realize that they're kind of ridiculous.  But I like to think that my flamboyant dreams are what make me so darn lovable.

I grew up with my dad constantly telling me, "Moderation in all things."  "Moderation, do you know what that means?"  "Use moderation, Shelly." 

But my ideas are so overwhelmingly amazing! .... I think.

I've begun clipping coupons.  I get 3 Sunday papers so I can have multiple coupons.  That in and of itself may sound stupid.  But our cupboards have never been so full.  We haven't been able to have much of a food storage.  In fact, we've lived pay check to pay check for years.  But I don't realize it's the week of payday based on the pantry.  It's like a Christmas miracle.  Or a Coupon miracle as it were. 

But as wonderful as our beginning food storage is, I want more from the program.  I'd love to be an extreme couponer.



I actually watched this entire show on TLC several weeks ago.  I sat there watching it in awe, mouth agape.  Then I realized that the show was in the line up of shows highlighting bizarre human behavior, including the woman who eats couch cushions. 

But saving money is not crazy or psychotic.  It's helped our family a lot over the last few months.  Oh, but how I wish I could save more than my record 54% at the check out register.

Another of my big dreams....

I want to run around the block.  It's a big, big block.  2 miles on each leg of the block, an 8 mile perimeter.  I think there are about four or so LDS wards in that area.  I said to Josh the other day, "Wouldn't it be cool to run that far?" 

He looked at me like I'm a freaking idiot.  Or maybe just a freak.  I'm still not sure about that one.

But I'll forever stick to what I know.  Dreaming big is my forte.  And sometimes I achieve those dreams. 

However, I can't even tell you how many times I've died trying. 

7 comments:

colds1 said...

I'm not a big dreamer ... that's why I love surrounding myself with those who are!!!

Keep dreaming because you always do amaze me by accomplishing so many of them!!!

(that sounds complimentary, right?)

Merinda Reeder said...

That's really great. My sis has been an amazing couponer; though I think she's scaled back a bit. For a while she would combine the right coupons with the right store sales on the double-coupon days... but that does take a lot of time and homework. 54% is pretty good, I think.
Keep dreaming. That's a highly powerful character trait.

Jeri Dawn said...

I love couponing...off and on. I am not a die hard anything. I am a hit it gung-ho for a while type of person. We actually get 5 Sunday papers! Ha ha. It's fun to feel like you are almost cheating the grocery stores. We have, in the past, got cold cereal for 25 cents a box--and it was the good kind. We had over 100 boxes! Ha ha. We also like it when they pay us to take food home. Now that's fun. Good luck with your 8 miles. You can do it!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I wish I had it in me to be a big time couponer, but I don't! I do clip and save, but no where near enough to save big time. I would never want to be that extreme - I feel like it would be a full time job, and it would be consume my life too much. However, it would be nice to pay $8.00 instead of $600 at the store!

MaggieJo said...

If you can run 3 miles, you can run 8. Just give yourself a few months. Good luck with the coupons. and keep dreaming big.

Celine said...

I would love to be a couponer so if you can stick to it, I say go for it Shelly! :D
Let us know how it goes!

Lucky Larson's said...

you are awesome! My sister is one of those super coupon ladies--
Her hints--find the websites in your area where other people do all the work for you.
They tell you what is on sale and what store and which coupons to use.
Plus she bought a printer with really cheap ink so she could print off even more online.

pretty amazing!

We we first moved to Sanford, we lived in a area where our block was about 8 miles. I walked it and timed myself--then eat time I did it again I tried to shave a little more time off--I never did run the whole way, but keep at it!!