Monday, June 27, 2011

The Extreme Comparison

Sometimes I have to wonder:

Why do I live in the Arizona desert?

It's a valid question.  At this moment, it is 108* and will most likely climb to 111* in the next few hours. 

That's hot.

But, really, we are no crazier living in Arizona than we were when we lived in Montana or Colorado.  They were just the other extreme.

Arizona Summer        Montana Winter
Highs: 110 days above 100*F      Lows: 158 days below 32*F
A/C bill raises                               Heater bill raises
Water and sunscreen necessary     Coats, gloves, hats necessary
Too hot to play outside                  Too cold to play outside
Ice is in constant demand               Hot cocoa is in constant demand

I've heard the argument that cold is better because you can always add more layers, but in the heat there are only so many layers you can remove without getting arrested.  There is definitely some merit in that train of thought.

But, I think I prefer the heat.  In Arizona summer or Montana winter, you end up being sequestered in your home with a dread to go outside.  But in Arizona I never have to worry about the added bummer of driving in the snow and ice. 

Which do you prefer?

3 comments:

Lori said...

You seriously went from one extreme to the other. Montana winters are terrible! You gotta think more from like CO. Not up in the mountains like we were, but like where we are here. You should move here. :) :) :)

colds1 said...

Um, somewhere in the middle ... you know, like Utah. I pretty much live right in the middle. :)

Tara Dawn said...

I'll take AZ heat over CO winter anytime. When we were there last March for a wedding, there was a little blizzard. Nothing big but it reminded me how much I hate driving in the snow and having to leave the house early because of the roads and the added time it takes to scrap the windshield. That's too hard.