Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just Plumb Stupid

The last few weeks have given me the chance to learn a little about plumbing.  A few weeks ago, thanks to Google, I learned how to fix my toilet so everything goes down with the first flush.  You can't have that problem in a bathroom overrun by kids.  It's gross and disgusting and thinking about it makes me gag.

And now we're having the bathtub adventure.  Our "vacation." 

I'm learning a lot.  Mostly because there's nothing to distract us.  The kids are gone and all we have done is the bathtub.  Maybe we can sneak away to see a movie tomorrow night.  Maybe.

Anyway, here are some things I've learned:

  • Glued pipes do not move, even if you really, really want them to.
  • Turning the water off and working in sweaty conditions is a bad combo.
  • I know what a P trap is.  And it has nothing to do with urine.
  • Vanities are heavier than bathtubs.
  • I thought that, in conjunction with copper pipes, the word was "sauter" but it's "solder".  Who knew?
  • Home Depot owns half of my soul.
And the greatest lesson I've learned:

  • Never, ever, ever, ever, ever replace your bathtub DIY-style.  Ever.  It's stupid.  It sucks.  It takes a lot of time and money.  It will make you insane.  INSANE, I TELL YOU!!
Insane.

1 comment:

Lucky Larson's said...

How do you fix it so that everything goes down in the first flush? Our toilet will not flush toilet paper on the first try no matter what! So frustrating and such a waste of water!