Monday, April 18, 2011

Mother of the Year

It's only April, but I know I've already proven that I am a contender for Mother of the Year.

Let me state my case:

Last Monday the kids brought home a flyer explaining all the fun things they'd be able to do for Spirit Week at school.  This is especially exciting because the kids' school is a traditional school, meaning uniforms and everything.  So to have the opportunity to dress up, wear something other than slacks and polos, and have a week of letting a little loose is going to be fun. 

Our prep work began last night.  Abby wanted to dress up as Hermione (from Harry Potter) so we gave her some French braids last night so her hair would be nice and unmanageable.  The other kids gathered their supplies and costumes.

We had fun this morning getting ready.  Emma wanted to be Harry Potter (she's on Book 5 -- she started Book 1 this fall) so she wore my old graduation gown, we sprayed her hair black, drew a lightning bolt scar, and wore her glasses.  Abby had her run-away hair and wore Josh's old graduation gown (pinned so it wouldn't drown her).  Each girl used a drumstick from Millie's little drumset as their wand.  Matt decided to take a different route.  One of his favorite books is "Treasure Island."  Matt wanted to be Jim Hawkins.  He had a ripped white t-shirt and frayed-edged shorts with a red bandanna around his head.  Man, they all looked great!

So, how am I the mother of the year?  Because we were so awesome this morning?  No.  Because I forgot to take a picture before they headed off to the bus this morning?  No.

I am the mother of the year because I walked them to the bus, like usual, and watched them get on the bus.  Suddenly something struck me as odd.  No one else was dressed up.  It was at that moment that my photographic memory finally kicked in.  The flyer had indeed said that Monday was "Dress as your favorite book character" day, but Monday, April 25.  Today is April 18!! 

I frantically yelled for my children to come off the bus, hoping the other kids wouldn't make a big deal out of our mix up, and we rushed home to change into the proper clothing.  Emma had the added challenge of having to take a shower to get the black out of her hair.  We quickly drove to school and only arrived about 3 minutes late. 

I don't know if the kids will get teased for our mistake today.  I really, really hope not.  But I can tell you that they'll look incredible next week. 

So that's my nomination.  Why I deserve to be the Mother of the Year.  I'm not sure if there are any other ways to embarrass your kids more than that. 

But please, if you can top me, please do.  I'm in need of some thing/one to laugh at/with!!

8 comments:

Jabon said...

NICE!!!!

Merinda Reeder said...

Sounds amazingly awesome... and I'm sure it will be.

Lori said...

When it comes to April 25th, I want to see those pictures. I bet they looked great!! And I'm sure you're glad and their glad that you caught that. It seriously sounds like something I would do too. :)

Lucky Larson's said...

you are amazing---you did all that work and then undid it and still was only 3 minutes late---I just had all my normal stuff to do this morning and I think we were still 10 minutes late!

Jeri Dawn said...

Thanks for the laughs! You are amazing...totally creative, if not a little off :). I second your nomination. My latest was telling my kids to stay after for the "Mother and Me Tea" and then forgetting about it. They ended up having donuts and tea with the school secretary.

Tara Dawn said...

As I was reading this I was asking myself, "Isn't that next week???" Now that is funny! And the outfits sound awesome!

Carina said...

Loved it! I have had some great Mother of the Year moments, but you are seriously a contender. I hope you will still talk to us when you are famous. :)

Heather said...

Well at least we will all get to see the pictures...