Sunday, April 24, 2011

Whims...

I live by the motto, "Go big or go home."  It's something I've always done. 

Adventurous?

Maybe.

Risky?

Usually.

Fun?

Almost definitely.

A week or so ago I auditioned for a role in the community theatre's production of Annie.  Anyone who knows me understands how much I want to play Miss Hannigan.  Ever since I was 8 I recognized the truly greatest character of the show.  Annie?  No.  Who cares about Tomorrow?  "It's only a day away."  Whoopee.  Now, Miss Hannigan is a different story.  A drunk wanna-be-floozy who sings about how much she hates little girls?  Now that's art.

Emma had asked me to audition with her, so we took Abby along and sang our hearts out.  Unfortunately, none of us were cast.  Oh well.  As much as I would've loved to play Miss Hannigan, I'll just wait and make my Hannigan debut on Broadway instead of community theatre. 

But we went on a whim and took the risk.  We were in near fits of impatience waiting for the cast list to post, but otherwise it was fun to just go out and do something a bit unexpected.  I especially loved that my girls were so willing to do this with me.

I find a bit of a delight to go and do the unexpected.  It clears my head.  Like a restart.

So my last whim sent me to the beauty salon.  Okay, it was only Great Clips. But I told the girl I wanted something dramatic.  Something short.  I got a short cut, a bit shorter than I expected, but I still like it.  It helps me feel renewed. 



Lately, I've noticed some changes in my physique.  That's what working out five days a week will do for you, I guess.  And today I wore a shirt I bought six years ago knowing it was too small for me, but hoped I could get away with it.  Today I finally got away with it.

Between the haircut and my new-old clothes, I'm feeling a bit.... whimsical.

I enjoy my whims.  They help me make sure my feet aren't too heavily grounded. 

2 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so glad your feet aren't heavy. You can't go anywhere with heavy feet! :) I think that's awesome that you and the girls went and tried out. You never know if you don't try. And maybe you'll get a part next time. Although I do have to wonder about that theater. Who in the world could do a better Mrs. Hannigan than you?!? I mean, SERIOUSLY!!

Lucky Larson's said...

you are awesome! Way to keep living life at the fullest! Nothing gets the blood going like an audition! I think you would make an AMAZING Mrs. Hannigan--she is my favorite too (now that I am older and not scared of her!) and i love the haircut! You are looking great. In your picture I thought, wow she has lost weight, I can see it in her face and neck!