Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ode to a 10-year-old

Ode to a 10-year-old

Not a kid
But not a teen
You find yourself
As a Tween


Some menus now
Will make you eat
The pricey meals
Not processed meat

Emma's first birthday celebration, about a week early.
(Her grandparents were in town but were going to be gone on her birthday.)

Admission prices
Go up as well
You're not a kid
Your cost will swell

Emma with her dad, siblings, cousins, aunt, uncle, grandparents, and great-grandma.

With double digits
Your age is graced
I see the joy
Upon your face

Emma asked me to make her a cake resembling her Littlest Pet Shop.
Not too bad, if I say so myself.

Because you think
With all this proof
That you, my friend,
Are child-proof

I was so nervous about messing up her cake that I made three of them. 
This was our "Leftover" cake: leftover frosting and leftover cake.

But I have news:
There is no way
My baby girl
You'll always stay

Mom and Dad got her the Lego Harry Potter Nintendo DS game.
Happy girl!

I love you, Dear
I always will
Through good times
And times of ill

Tonight with her cousins and siblings.

Happy birthday
Sweetheart dear
I'll celebrate
With you this year

We only put candles on the Leftover Cake.  The other one was too pretty.

But I can't help
But wish for you
To stay my baby
All year through

My big girl, letting me know how old she is!

Love, Mom

2 comments:

Lori said...

Happy Birthday Emma Rose. I hope you had a GREAT day!!! I love your guts!!!!!

~Aunt Lori :) :) <3 <3

Cori White said...

you are super clever with the poem.. i can never rhyme anything :) great cake.. way to go