Saturday, September 20, 2008

Random Movie References


So, Josh made fun of me for coming up with some randomly obscure movie/tv references. Let me know what you think.


Do you remember "Flight of the Navigator"? The boy is abducted by a spaceship and returns home eight years after the abduction with no memory of what happened. Something like that. Anyway, he hi-jacks the spaceship and attempts to fly his way home and they stop at a gas station. The gas station attendant comes out and begins gaping at the spaceship. He's a bit stereotypical: big fat white-trashy guy with overalls. As the kid leaves the scene the computer aboard the ship sticks his head out the door and in a Pee-Wee Herman voice says to the plump attendant, "Heeey, Fat Boy! Too many twinkies!" Got that image in your head? So, I was looking for pants with pockets (see my last post as to why) and I came across some of Lori's overalls. Now, Tara and Lori and I have been passing maternity clothes back and forth with each pregnancy. Tara began the collection, but we've each made additions and we just share them when we need them. I know these overalls are Lori's because Tara and I are a bit bigger than her. But I figure, I'll try them just to see. I put them on, look in the mirror, and I'm sure you've already figured out where this is heading. Instead of saying to myself, "Man, I look almost as cute as Lori," my first thought is, you guessed it, "Heeey, Fat Boy! Too many twinkies!" Is that really all that obscure?


So, I've also got this dress. I don't know which sister bought it, it isn't either of their styles. I think it may have been from a friend. Anyway, it clings to me. You can see every curve, and unfortunately, my family has the "Bailey Butt" curse. (The Baileys have really big butts.) So as I put this dress on, I'm confronted with yet another somewhat random character. Ever watch "The Carol Burnett Show"? If you haven't, go buy a season on dvd. Then burn me a copy and mail it to me. I love Carol Burnett so much. She's one of the comedienne's I'd love to emulate. I played a lot of comedic drunks on stage at college and I'm convinced it may have something to do with being the only 10-year-old in the world that would rather grow up to play drunk Miss Hannigan (played by Carol Burnett) on Broadway rather than be the adorable Little Orphan Annie. Anyway, she played this great character on her show named Mrs. Wiggins. Mrs Wiggins is the secretary for Mr Tudball, played by Tim Conway, and walks with her butt sticking out, and this clingy black skirt. Just add a baby belly, and that's what I look like when I wear this dress. I gotta go on a shopping spree!

2 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

OK you got my husband off the couch wondering what in the world I'm laughing at. Thanks. I just lost lots of calories. I am so terribly sad that my sisters are so much littler than me - cause I could use some maternity duds right now. I don't want yours either.

Tara Bennett said...

Oh Shelly how I've missed the way you make me laugh! Some people may think you suffer from multiple personalities. But I just enjoy your many alter egos.... Navigator and Mrs Wiggins. Love it!