Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Waiting For Godot

Here I am, 25 weeks pregnant, wondering if my pregnancy can progress any quicker. Ironically, five weeks ago I was in awe over how quickly the first half of this term has flown. How naive. To my credit, we moved, it was summer so there were lots of family members coming to visit, Pete got home from his mission, Pete got married, and life was just a crazy mess. Now that things have calmed down, I have a lot more time to realize how much longer I have and I miss the mess. Little freak outs here and there in trying to get Christmas done as much as I can already. That's actually a habit from living in Alamosa. Because the only real toy store in town was Walmart, you had to do your shopping early or nothing was left on the shelves. Buying Christmas presents while the Halloween costumes were hot items was not uncommon. This time I'm worried about having everything done and in order, especially since family will probably be visiting for the baby's birth and Christmas.

I had to do my gestational diabetes testing yesterday. The phlebotomist missed my vein in my left arm the first time. I think my constant, "Oooh, yikes, aaaaah" noises prompted her to stop digging and just try my other arm. Oh man, I thought I was going to pass out. When I was 16 I attempted my first blood donation. Because I almost fainted before I donated, they wouldn't let me do it. I don't know why it bothers me so much. I consider myself a pretty strong person, I had NO painkillers in my system during the birth of both girls. I've performed onstage in front of a couple hundred people each night (including the real live woman I was playing once). I even tried calamari once. Believe me, that took a lot of guts. But needles are NOT my friend and I think they should all die.

Oh, as for the title of this, Waiting for Godot is a play about two guys on stage waiting for a dude named Godot to show up. Yep, that's it. That's the whole play. They talk about him coming, but he just never does. Sometimes I feel that way about our baby. Anyway, this play was written by Samuel Beckett. If you have a chance to see a Beckett play, you totally should, just don't pay money for it. He's a pretty significant figure in theatre history, but seriously how exciting is a play about two guys waiting for another guy? Who never shows up, nonetheless. Anyway, the only real cool thing I know about Beckett is that according to the special features on the Princess Bride dvd, Beckett lived next door to Andre the Giant and sometimes drove him to school since he was the only person with a car big enough for Andre. A funny movie based on the title, but not the plot is Christopher Guest's Waiting for Guffman. I'd much rather watch that than the play.

4 comments:

colds1 said...

Okay, that's random! :)

Tara Bennett said...

LOVE Waiting for Guffman.... one of my faves.

Tara Dawn said...

You think your pregnancy is going slow, try being me! (Okay, so you will be like me in about 9 weeks) 34 weeks and counting very, very, very slowly!! With anywhere from 4-6 weeks left, time is running slower than molasses down here! Love you sis!

Jabon said...

Don't know what its like. He he!
Hey, I see that you guys got the same couch we have. That's funny. 1,000 miles apart and yet... the warped minds think alike! Cheers~!