Monday, December 20, 2010

The Mark of the Birth.....mark

I think we all have those things about us that are different.   I have a somewhat bright red birthmark on my upper lip.  It sort of looks like a bloody nose. 

The kids I grew up around were the pretty typical mean ones.  Not all of them, but enough that I got called names, told I was ugly, laughed at, and even treated as sick (in a "what's wrong with you?" sort of way) all because of my birthmark. 

When I was younger, a woman that worked with my parents told them about laser surgery and how it could remove my birthmark.  I wanted it!  No more comments of, "You're nose is bleeding," "Do you have a cold sore?" or "What's with your nose?"

But as I got older, I didn't mind my birthmark anymore.  My family and friends didn't notice it, people around me began to mature and stop making stupid comments about it, and I realized that it's a part of me.  It's not something that I can just get rid of.  My birthmark has helped form me into the person I am today.

Me, 2009
But now that I'm in the nursery, I get to have little kids around me a lot.  Every week I seem to have someone ask me, "What's that?" as they point to their own, smaller, upper lip.  I explain that it's a birthmark and it's just where my skin is a different color and it's been that way since I was born.  They kind of nod in acknowledgment and we move on with whatever we're doing. 

Yesterday was no exception.  I was asked by one of the girls (not the same one from my previous post, btw) about my birthmark.  I explained and she nodded.  During music time, the music leader added some Christmas songs to our list of singing.  She turned to the group of 3-year-olds and asked, "Who has a red nose?"  My little friend from earlier turned around in her seat and pointed at me, saying, "She does!" 

Yes, yes I do.

6 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

Huh. Kids... well they're cute, all right.
I decided I was done with my very cute way-short 2-inch hair cut: when some little kid loudly asked whether I was a boy or a girl.
But you're right, your birth mark isn't a hair cut and more than my eyes are.
My Dad often tries to tell me he wishes he could get me two working eyes and it annoys me. I am who I am.

colds1 said...

Man, I grew up with freaks! But I love them!

I like that you can tell your moods by your birthmark, Shel. It gets deeper red when you are more intense ... it was has always been handy tool to gauge your mood!

And, Mindy, I only ever wished you to have two working eyes twice ... once when your eye was sitting on your desk and the time when we nearly hit the Pontiac.

(Mush coming) I wouldn't change my friends. Their uniqueness is why I like them. Their differences make them great!

Tara Bennett said...

I loved Mind and Cind's comments, totally cracked me up. I can only say that it in my opinion it actually becomes people's differences that makes me love them more. Like your birthmark -- it's you and only you. Like Mindy's eye. Like Chloe's body. All I know is that I love you all and wouldn't change one thing! It's people's differences that make them special and once you focus on people's hearts, that's all that matters anyway! Plus I think you're beautiful :):)

Merinda Reeder said...

Cindy:
Did I hit the Pontiac?
You'll never let me live that down... and I didn't even touch it.
Nearly only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes.
:)

Tara Dawn said...

That is funny.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even hear that!! ... Oh boy... those sweet little nursery kids. :)