Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Merry Creepy Christmas

Christmas is definitely my favorite time of year.  I love the actual meaning, first off.  The birth of our Savior is the greatest gift of all.

But I also love the other aspects of the year: the lights, the tree, the stockings, the movies, the music, the TV specials, the gifts, Santa, the goodies.  All of it. 

Well, most of it.

I really don't enjoy the song, "Baby, It's Cold Outside."  Have you ever heard the lyrics?  Let me enlighten you.  It's a duet between a man and woman.  Basically, she says she has to go.  He says the storm is too awful to be in so she should just stay.  Sounds cute, maybe a little flirty.

No.

It starts out all nice:

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice
My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry
My father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
Well Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

Then she starts to question what's in her drink.  Um, did he slip her a mickey?  He's definitely moving in on her....

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there
.....
I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move a little closer
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride
I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out

Then comes the definitive line.  No means NO, Buddy.  But it sure doesn't stop him.  If nothing else, this dude needs to be cited for sexual harassment.....

I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside
The answer is no - Ooh baby, it's cold outside
This welcome has been - I'm lucky that you dropped in
So nice and warm -- Look out the window at that storm
My sister will be suspicious - Man, your lips look so delicious
My brother will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious - Gosh your lips look delicious
Well maybe just a half a drink more - Never such a blizzard before

There's more to the song.  I've heard it beautifully sung.  The melody is great, I love the harmonies, but the lyrics are a bit creepy.  I'd think the ideal guy to sing this song is the guy in this commercial:
 



I couldn't remember which jeweler did this commercial so I went to YouTube and looked for "creepy diamond commercial."  Yep.  Found it. 

Creepy, creepy, creepy.

2 comments:

colds1 said...

My favorite version is Martina McBride singing with a recording from Dean Martin.

I've never thought it was creepy. I guess it just fit with the 1940s image in my mind ... the overly flirty woman who says no even though she might be persuaded otherwise. Sure, there were images to uphold, but you could toy with the line a bit.

I also have never seen the man winning in the scenario ... she toys and lingers and then leaves him wanting. Her being the winner. I love that part. But I like to leave men wanting more! :)

Lori said...

I love listening to this song. Ya, the words are a bit disturbing, but it sounds great. I always have it stuck in my head during Christmas.

I love that you looked up "Creepy Diamond commercial" and it popped up! That's so funny!