Wednesday, July 27, 2011

#2 30 Day Movie Challenge

Your Least Favorite Movie

For me, this one is a no brainer.  In fact, I could say I HATE this movie.

Crash


This movie came out on video during my last semester of my senior year of college.  I had just spent four years paying tens of thousands of dollars to an institution that tried to convince me the power of "thinking outside the box."  However, it was at this point in time I discovered that some professors insist that I think outside my box and inside theirs.  I wasn't falling for that one.

In one of my classes a few people were talking about the power of the movie Crash.  Between my classmates and written reviews, this movie was supposed to be a profound dissection of American morality and racism. 

First off, the number of F-bombs through the show are enough to turn me off.  I almost stopped watching it, but I was waiting for the profound-ness to start. 

Should've just turned it off.

Second, the A-list actors made it a temptation.  See the movie cover above for names.

Third, the movie revolves around racism and prejudice.  Everyone hates everyone else and all are afraid of the others.  There's supposed to be an underlying message of "progress" according to Roger Ebert.  I didn't see it.  I walked away from the movie thinking of those boxes my professors wanted me to hop into.  And I couldn't stop hearing the voice of this one professor in particular that cultivated class discussions about white people and their overpowering racist ways.  I hated his class.

I hated the movie.  I found it over the top, without hope, completely overrated (Best Picture of the Year??? Puh-lease!!), and a complete disappointment.  Never see it.  Totally a waste of my time.

3 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

AND it won an oscar of course. Sometimes I think movies that go for a "shock" factor are more likely to win awards. I also hated this movie. Great minds think alike.

colds1 said...

My feelings ... if it wins Best Picture of the Year, I most likely won't like it. Pretty much every time.

I don't even remember hearing about this movie ...

Lori said...

Never heard of it before, and now won't ever see it. Thanks for the insights. I will never have to waste my time on this one. Which is a bummer 'cause I love Brendan!