Friday, July 29, 2011

#4 30 Day Movie Challenge

#4 A movie that makes you sad.

I cry during movies.  Heck, I cry during commercials.  That doesn't usually mean that a movie makes me sad.  But this one was an easy one to name.  But it didn't start out as the saddest movie.  Life just helped it evolve into it.

The Green Mile



This movie came out not long after Josh and I got married.  We saw it in the theater and we loved the movie from the first time we saw it..  I'm a Tom Hanks fan, but the person that blew me away was Michael Clarke Duncan who plays John Coffey. 

This cast is incredible: Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan, David Morse, Bonnie Hunt, James Cromwell, Sam Rockwell, Barry Pepper, and the list goes on.  I'll admit, some of these actors I didn't know before this movie, but I've happily identified them in other movies I've seen since.  Their performances are very memorable.



The plot is fantastic.  And by that I mean "fantasical".  John Coffey is a huge bear of a man accused of murder, yet the staff on the Green Mile (death row) discover how gentle and angelic he actually is.  There are extremes of heaven and hell, angel and demon, and love and hatred.

Why does this movie make me sad? 

Well, in general, it's a sad movie.  That's all I'll say about that.

But there's more to it than that.  The murder victims are two little blond sisters.  I was okay with the movie when Emma was born.  I could still watch it without identifying to it.

But then Abby was born. 

Two little blond sisters.

This particular scene



kills me!

I watched the movie once after Abby was born, made the connection, and haven't been able to watch the movie since.  It's too sad.  And Michael Clarke Duncan should've won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.  He was totally robbed.  That's almost sadder than the movie itself.

3 comments:

colds1 said...

This one has long been on my list of "Don't see it ... it will make you cry" movies. Glad to know it can remain there forever.

Lori said...

I am so totally in agreement with you on the sad factor. I haven't been able to watch it again since the first time.

Unknown said...

I read the book in college before it came out and so of course, I wanted to see how they (Hollywood) did with the book. Holy cow- very close! I've watched this a couple of times and feel like I'm watching it for the first time- every time. I cry, but I think it's because they have done such a good job that it makes me feel like it really can happen. Such a good movie!