Thursday, July 28, 2011

#3 30 Day Movie Challenge

#3 A movie that makes you happy.

I'm quickly discovering that this challenge is more difficult than I thought it would be.  A movie that makes me happy?  I can think of lots of movies that I enjoy watching and plenty of shows that I'll happily watch again and again.  But a movie that makes me happy?

I racked my brain and then it hit me.  The movie that makes me happy just thinking about it (and again when I watch it)...

The First Wives Club


Now, don't judge me.  Yes, the premise of this movie is that three women are looking for vengeance not only for their suicided friend (is "suicided" a word?) but for themselves as their ex-husbands run off with younger women. 

How can that make me happy?

Lots of reasons.  First, I love girl-power.  The women overcome their sadness and rise above it.  Great story. 



Second, the music is phenomenal.  1960s girl groups.  That makes me happy. 



But mostly, I love the characters and their hilarious one-liners.  I may not understand the circumstances they experience, but I recognize the characters/people.  I'm personal friends with some of the characters.

My favorite (surprise, surprise) is Elise, the actress.  "You think that because I'm a movie star I don't have feelings. Well you're wrong. I'm an actress. I've got all of them!"  Classic.



But there will always be a special place in my heart for Shelly.  Shelly the Barracuda.  ("She's 12.")

I love watching this movie and it definitely makes me happy.


4 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

WAHOOOOOO!
This movie always makes me think of you. I've never watched it with my husband because I just don't think he'd appreciate it. But I LOVE this movie. It's hilarious, it's girl power, it's got some smart writing and some great acting. And I associate those girls with my dear friends, 'cept my friends are actually married to good fellas. Every time I see Goldie, Bette, or Diane, in any movie, I think of my First Wives associations.

colds1 said...

Very good memories associated with that movie. Memories that can make me laugh out loud just thinking them ...

colds1 said...

Okay and there were a LOT of scenes in that trailer that are not in the version of the movie that I own ...

Lori said...

Great one! I love watching FWC. I don't think they could've done any better. :)