Monday, January 16, 2012

I Am...

I've never been one for labels, but I've noticed lately that I can't deny that I've become "things".

I Am...



a couponer.  I coupon.  I have multiple Sunday papers delivered to my home.  I spend hours clipping and sorting and finding the sales matching up to my coupons.

This started out as something to try.  I didn't really expect it to be a life altering project.  But it did.  And now I feel naughty when I go to the store without my coupon folder (yep, I keep them all in a folder).  Like when I was a teller and I had to pull my bait money to check to make sure the alarms were working.  It's a very naughty feeling.


I Am...



a runner.  I've been watching the people in our neighborhood running throughout the day.  Because we live in Arizona, it's not unreasonable to see people out during every hour of the day.  But I'm watching these people and they are of different levels in their running.  Some people are the same ones I've seen running for the last year.  Some people are getting back into running after a short sabbatical of having a baby.  And some people are running for the first time.

It doesn't matter how they're doing, how sweaty and tired they are, or how fast or slow they are going.  I envy them.  I want to run.  I want to feel the warm sun counteract the cool breeze.  I want to feel the pavement pounding under my feet and watch my shadow round the corners with me.  I want to listen to my favorite running songs and feel them surge me forward toward my ending point.

I miss running.  I can't wait to do it again.


I Am...

Josh drew the cover art.  Isn't he awesome?


a writer.  I know it's hard to believe with all of the weeks I've neglected to get on this blog, but one thing I did while I was away from blog land was write a novella for my daughter.  A few years ago I began making a homemade gift for each kid each Christmas.  This year I wrote Emma a book about a blonde 10-year-old girl who went to Colorado to visit her grandmother for a few weeks in the summer.  I loved writing this story.  It flowed from my brain to the paper so easily.  Emma is still reading it and since it's her opinion that matters most to me, I look forward to knowing what she thinks.

And now I know I can do it.  I can write a story from beginning to end.  It's time to begin the next one.

4 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

I loved this post and I love you. I'd like to point out, though, that you in fact had written AND illustrated a book before.. about to roommates and their quest for love. Just sayin.

Tara Bennett said...

Two not to. I do know how to spell, but am still learning how to correct the auto-correct on my phone.

Jeri Dawn said...

Hey, I still want to read it! Will you email it to me @ jeridawnm@yahoo.com

Lucky Larson's said...

Shelly--you are so amazing!! I want to be you when I grow us! ;) really this is a great blog and i just might have to steal the idea! Thanks for aways keeping me inspired!