Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Sesame Street!!

Today, November 10, Sesame Street turns 40. (Thank goodness it's older than me!) I love Sesame Street! It's probably one of the best shows to ever hit the airwaves.

Sesame Street taught me how to spell and how to write my name.

When I was four I remember asking for a Cookie Monster birthday cake. I wanted it so bad. Cookie is definitely my favorite character. I love his googly eyes, his long fuzzy fur, how great he looks in blue, and his affinity for cookies. He's my kind of man. (Yes, Josh, it is kind of unsettling how similar you are to my favorite childhood memory.)

If you haven't watched in a while, you've missed a new, fun character called Abby Cadabby. Of course, my Abby loves her. Not only is she a fairy, but she's pink. She's cute.

I saw this episode last season. Neil Patrick Harris was hilarious and made me laugh out loud. Here's a little clip of Neil as the Fairy Shoe Person. You can also see a bit of Abby Cadabby.



I'm writing this at midnight because Millie is having a hard time sleeping, but just like it should, these clips from Sesame Street are calming her down. I love this show. Happy Birthday!!

Some Sesame trivia:

What is the name of Elmo's pet fish?

What's the name of the store on Sesame Street?

What's the name of Big Bird's teddy bear?

When trouble arises, who does Grover turn into?

And here's a toughie:

What color was Oscar the Grouch 40 years ago?

So, who is your favorite character?

3 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

1. Elmo Schmelmo.
2. Mr. Hooper's Store.
3. Radar
4. Super Grover!!!!!
5. Yellow, wasn't he?

I've several favorites, but let me answer with a memory. Kindergarten. We were working on an art project, and Matt Van Komen and I decided that we'd make ours for Oscar the grouch. We did our darndest to make them ugly, and when glue and kindergarten are involved, that can be quite the feat. That's the only time I remember my teacher getting frustrated at me.

colds1 said...

Dorothy. And orangish/dirty. Other than that I agree with Mindy.

I wasn't fully drawn into Sesame Street. I often just kept it on waiting for a Super Grover segment! Or a Tweedle Bug segment (they've been ruined now by computer animation). I do remember a heated argument in Junior High about whether it was Snuffleufagus or Snuffleupagus. According to the Internet today, I would have lost that argument. Back then, according to my little book, I won.

My kids aren't too interested in Sesame Street, despite my best efforts.

Lori said...

The only one of those questions I know is Super Grover!!!! He was and still is my favorite.