Monday, January 17, 2011

Cacti and Rocks

My BIL invited the kids and me to go out for a little hike and picnic today.  We went to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, which is just up the mountain from us.  It's a pretty cool place.  It has plant life from all across the world: native AZ, South Africa, Australia, Asia, etc. 

As we made our way around one of the loops through the park, I found it difficult not to notice the many, many different kinds of cacti growing along the trail.  Especially since I was trying to herd the two 2-year-olds away from the cacti.

I grew up surrounded by big shade trees: oak, aspen, and even pecan.  I love crunching through the leaves in the fall (as long as I'm not the one responsible to rake them).  I love watching rolling fields of green anything -- hay, corn, wheat.  Springtime along Ute Pass, near Pikes Peak, is incredibly green and one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

And so it surprised me how much I respected and enjoyed the mystery of the cacti today.

Photo by Jabon Eagar


These plants, though not the usual leafy green foliage I generally enjoy, are growing completely out of the rock.  There's no nutrient-rich soil.  There's no thirst-quenching rain. 

But these flora are survivors.  They grow and, somehow, thrive for years.  Like, generations. 

There are two ways to see this:

1)  The cacti live and survive in such harsh and foreboding circumstances because they are fierce.  They do what it takes to protect themselves, including growing spiny and prickly needles.  They are hard.  They have to be to survive.  They are not everyone's ideal landscape because not everyone thinks they are beautiful.

Or

2)  They may not be the prettiest things to see, but their existence is miraculous.  Popping up in the middle of rocks and sand and flourishing is nothing short of admirable.  They've fought to be there and they want to live.  No amount of trials and tribulations will stop them.  They rally their spirits with the chorus of Survivor by Destiny's Child. 

I like Option 2.  It's a lot more likable and identifiable.

Here are some other shots from our day:


Millie and her cousin Ashton.  He came to help her catch up with the group.


There was a stage in the picnic area.  Stage = heck of a good time!


Bumps on the log.... Emma, Matt, Brett, Abby, Cody


The girls were Rock Models.  As Rock Models, they show off rocks.  I told them they rock.

3 comments:

Tara Dawn said...

I'm so glad you guys had fun today while I was at work. Hrmph.

(Looks like the picture uploaded fuzzy)

What did you think of the cactus tree? Those are so cool!

Jabon said...

It was a great day! I am glad you guys made it out with us.

Lori said...

Looks like fun! Wish I could hang out with you guys more often. I sure miss you all!