Monday, January 3, 2011

Locks of Love

Emma decided a week or two that she wanted to donate her hair.  But she didn't want to do it right then.  She wanted to wait until January.  It came up again just a few days ago and it became obvious that she was a little hesitant about it when she realized in slight horror that January was nearly upon her. 

Today, however,was the day to do the deed.  The kids had today off from school, but they head back tomorrow.  Emma wanted to have her new style in time for school tomorrow morning.  I had to ask her several more times if she was sure she wanted to go through with it.  She said she was scared, but she was ready for her cut.

In the midst of all of this, Abby realized that there was a lot of attention given to this situation.  She decided that she wanted to donate her hair too. 

So, let's pause this story for some reality of the situation. 

We had a very generous Christmas and I'm on a strict budget until Friday.  Emma's hair donation was going to allot her a free hair cut.  Cool.  I can afford free.  Abby's sudden interest threw a little wrench in my plans.  If her hair wasn't long enough to donate, she simply could not get a cut right now. 

Sometimes telling a child No is not a big deal.

But if you, like me, have a
Dr Jekyll

Mr Hyde


child, you know that this is not always something you want to deal with.  Some battles are not worth fighting.  But to make things worse, Abby got a short cut a couple years ago and complained for about a year after it that she hated her short hair, mostly because Emma just got a trim, not a cut, and had longer hair.

Are you feeling me?  Do you see where my issues lie here?

So Abby was called up first and her hair measured just about an inch too short (Locks of Love requires a 10" minimum) to leave her with a chin length bob like she wanted.  So she had to go back to the waiting area.  Torture.  For both of us.

Anyway.

Emma hopped into the chair and off went her long pony tail.  She was all smiles and the nervousness from earlier was mostly gone.  Although, there was a moment of shock looking at her long ponytail in the stylist's hand. 

She loves her new 'do and is so excited to show it off. 

Hopefully her hair will be so much easier to keep neat and nice looking.  And I think she loved the thought of helping out someone in need.  There's a young woman at church who is battling leukemia and her experience is an incredible springboard to start conversations about how/why people get sick and the many things we can do to help others around us who are struggling or in pain.  Emma's donation won't directly help this young woman, but it will help someone, somewhere.

Back to the story of Abby.  I did feel bad for Abby that she didn't get to have her own moment in the sun, despite the meltdown in Great Clips.  I told her that I would trim her hair when we got home.  She seemed to accept that and would've gotten the scissors herself if she knew where I kept them.  On the way home I explained to her that if she waited until Valentine's Day, she could donate to Locks of Love too.  If I trimmed her hair, it could take another three months or so.  She decided she just wanted me to give her a cut.

Okay, another reality check.

Summer of 2007 I cut the girls' hair.  I cut them both a lot shorter than I intended and they got teased by the poopy neighbor boys next door that were stupid jerks.  (I didn't much care for them.)  I felt so bad and I hated that I had messed up their hair.  I haven't cut their hair since.

But remember

Dr Jekyll

Mr Hyde


If I messed up again by cutting Abby's hair too short, she would hate it and remind me of how much she hates it everyday.  I was scared to even try this.  But, I had budgeted for free hair cuts. 

So, what did I do?  I bit the bullet and PRAYED everything would work out.

Luckily, Abby loves her hair cut.  It's not too short, but an obvious difference from her previous style. 

PHEW!!!

Emma and Abby both look great and I hope they have a great day tomorrow as they head back to school and show off their new coifs to their friends and teachers. 

2 comments:

Tara Dawn said...

Good story. These girls make me laugh! BTW, update on Breanna: She is now cancer free (as of Christmas) but had been battling a fever and blood infection that has gotten quite bad. That was a week ago, so I am not sure how she is feeling now. But, thought you'd want to know!

photomama said...

I have a Dr Jekyll/ Mr Hyde child. Mine is going through the terrible 2's right now. I totally feel your pain.