Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Kid Update

Here's the skinny on the kiddos:


School starts in one week. Hooray! Party! Hallelujah!!!! I used to judge moms who were excited when their kids were going back to school. "What kind of horrible mother is glad to see her children spend so much of the day away from her?" my childless, I-know-everything mind would wonder. Then I realized: a real, true mother feels that way! Now if I hear women talk about how sad they are that the summer is coming to an end and the kids are heading back to school and she's sad, I judge her and the lithium she must be on. I'm just sayin'...




Matt asked for his training wheels to come off his bike yesterday and now he's zooming up and down the sidewalks like a madman. The boy has one speed: Lightning! It's taking him a while to figure out how to start, but once he gets the bike in motion, be careful. "10 points for the old guy!" (A Little Rascals reference for you.) I've got a video of it, but I'm having trouble uploading it. When I get it, I'll get it on here.


Millie is getting bigger and smarter everyday. She hasn't quite figured out her own personality yet, but there are clear similarities between her and her siblings. She has Matt's easy-going attitudes, Emma's talkative nature (once she gets going she talks a lot and loud), and Abby's adventurous spirit. When Abby was about Millie's age, she'd make her way to our TV. The VCR was down low in our TV stand and one day she stuck her hand in the VCR and yanked. That was the day our VCR died. Millie likes to roll over to the VCR too. I've got to keep an eye on that girl all the time. Let the VCR live!! She's also like Abby in that she likes to eat. She likes to eat anything. The other day I had a can of Bag Balm out (the best diaper rash medicine in the world) and Millie grabbed it, began sucking on the can, and then spent the next minutes sucking on her lips. Ew, gross! But that's nothing. When Abby was somewhere around a year old, I walked into the room and caught Abby with her hand in the cookie jar. Or the Bag Balm, whatever. She had eaten half of the can. Do you know what Bag Balm is? If you don't, go to the store and buy some. It works wonders. It's supposed to be used on cow udders when they get chapped, but it works well on diaper rash, sunburns, just about any skin irritation. Anyway, open it up and sniff it. Then you will understand why I was mortified that Abby ate HALF A CAN! I called Poison Control because I didn't know what's in that stuff. Here's what I'm pretty sure the conversation went like:

Me: My daughter ate half a can of Bag Balm and I don't know if it's bad for her.
The Lady: Bag Balm? Like in the green can?
Me: Yes.
The Lady: And she ate how much?
Me: Half the can.
The Lady: Seriously? That stuff is gross.
Me: I know.
The Lady: You'd think she would've stopped after the first taste.
Me: You'd think.
The Lady: Okay, it looks like there's nothing harmful in it. She just might have greasy poop.

The second time Abby ate half the can of Bag Balm I didn't worry about calling Poison Control, but I did double check to make sure the can was up high from that time on.





Emma and Abby need to go to school. That's their update. Their fighting is driving me crazy! That's all I got to say about that.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I have a friend here that doesn't want her kids to go back to school. She does have a good excuse though. Half of the summer they were at their dad's. So she didn't have them. Me, I've had mine all summer long. Almost by myself. James has been working SO much this summer. I'm ready for next Wed to be LAST Wed.

And yeah. That's really gross on the bag balm thing.

Kayleen said...

Amen sista'! We just have the weekend, and the kids go back to school! Hooray!! I giggle to myself when people ask me if I was sad to send them. Heck no! Someone else to entertain my children for most of the day. Are you crazy? Of course I miss them while they are at school, but then they come home and start arguing again, and the missing is over... Good luck, I hope you make it!

Oh, and bag balm? Not my choice of treats... :) my kids have eaten some pretty interesting things too, but not that!

Tara Dawn said...

I don't ever recall hearing the story about the bag balm. That is super disgusting.

Yay Matt!! I am so happy for him and riding without training wheels!

Too bad you couldn't have been in AZ earlier. School started here on Aug. 3rd. It was nice. Cody and Brett have a tendency to argue about a lot of different things, but that's what siblings do, right?

And I am kinda shocked you still have a VCR that is hooked to a TV. I think we have one in a closet somewhere. Do you even use it?