Saturday, August 15, 2009

Let That Pony Run

I ran into Bill Clinton the other day. Okay, not really, but I swear the dude was trying to do a SNL Bill Clinton impersonation. Turns out he just talks funny. This is what he sounded like:





Dad and I were standing in the office at the front gate of the Air Force base where he stables his horse, Takela. My sidelong stares at the dude probably weren't as stealthy as I'd hoped, but I thought he was using some sort of fake voice or something.

Anyway, we were there so the kids and I could go ride Takela. Dad saddled her up and Abby about marched over, took the reins and swung up onto Takela's back without help. She was very determined to ride that pony. Matt and Emma also got on her and even enjoyed the ride. We didn't let Millie get up there, but she wondered what the heck Takela was. I even took a spin around the circle pen with her. I'm not an experienced rider, by any means, but it was pretty fun to get up and be on a horse again. The last ride I went on was with Dad. We went out to Antelope Island in Utah. Our rides were generally pretty ordinary, but there are bison on Antelope Island and on this occasion a big bull was making his way to the trail directly in front of us. My horse was named Liberty and he was a bit scared of this monster. We diverted off the trail enough to get around the beast, but a hill on that side of the trail limited how far off we could go. Dad was nervous too, but he warned me not to let Liberty run, because we might spook the bison. I held Liberty back as well as I could, but his trot increased in speed as we passed the bull and finally he let out in a full run. By that time, Dad and I had both passed the bison and I just didn't care. Liberty was free to take me as far away from that big, scary thing as fast as he could. Luckily, the bull just stared after us with a look on his face like, "Chickens."

Yes, yes I am a chicken.

1 comment:

Tara Dawn said...

I am impressed you went for a ride! It has been a long time for me, too, though I really miss it!

Wanna buy a horse together here?