Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dan In Real Life


Tonight I watched a bit of the movie Dan in Real Life starring Steve Carell.
I like this movie for a few reasons, but here are the top two:


1. I love the message of needing to live in the moment and enjoy your children. Dan has three daughters and puts them (and the rest of his family) off to pursue his own romantic feelings. As much as I love the romance in a good chick flick, this isn't the focus I like. It's the realization he eventually makes to be involved in his daughters' lives and let them be involved in his. I actually tried to do a bit of this today. When my children got home from school, I had freshly baked cookies, and the movie they've been asking to watch, waiting for them. My focus was on them and I even happily sacrificed the time I usually spend vegging out to make said cookies. I had fun getting everything done for them. I think this is a really good thing since when we move we've decided to homeschool the kids. The girls are two grade levels ahead of their class in reading. Emma is in the 99th percentile in her grade for math. They're both bored in school. Unfortunately, the schools here just aren't at the same level as the schools in Montana. So, I found today's attitude refreshing. And hopeful. Maybe I will be able to do this. I've homeschooled them once before, so I think I've begun the process of learning what works and what doesn't. This will prove interesting.


2. Another thing I love about Dan is the glimpse into the future that I get. Dan has three daughters. So do I. Do I think someday Emma will be begging for more responsibility and freedom to go out and drive? Uh, yeah. Do I think someday Abby is going to yell in my general direction, "You are a murderer of Love!"? Yes. Yes, I do. In fact, I can hear it ringing in my head. It's very loud and shrill. It makes me scared and nervously laugh.


Steve Carell is great. Dane Cook is actually very enjoyable. It's really a very great movie and I suggest it to anyone that hasn't seen it. And to anyone that has seen it, for that matter.

2 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

This is a good one! Plus don't you just love the soundtrack? I do!!!

Lori said...

I love this movie too! James wasn't that fond of it probably because it wasn't a dorky Steve Carell movie. Now that you say it, I can seriously see your girls like those ones. Hee Hee. Have fun in the coming years "you murderer of love"!!!!