Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Talented Mrs Johnson

During this Christmas season, I discovered a talent of mine. I knew that I recognized voices fairly well. When I was about ten I'd freak out the missionaries that would call our house asking for my dad (he was the ward mission leader). I'd call them by name just to hear them mumble, "How'd she know it was me?" It's the little things that bring me joy.

This year, however, Josh and I played a little game with the radio. In our car, the radio has the really cool "Info" button that tells you who is singing. It's amazing! No more cursing at the DJ's for neglecting to announce song artists. So as we were listening to the cheery Christmas music, we'd make guesses as to who was singing the familiar carols. 8 times out of 10, I was right. It was amazing! Bing Crosby. Harry Connick, Jr. Vanessa Williams. Carrie Underwood. Andy Williams. I was like a cornucopia of frivolous music trivia! But when Josh got one right it was a big deal too. :)

It got me thinking--which talents are cool and which ones are nerdy? I was beginning to consider this one nerdy. Kind of like someone who can count cards. Really cool at first, but then you wonder what kind of freaky mind powers they must possess. Okay, not really, but it was a bit freaky. More like my obsession with movies and tv. Cool or nerdy?

Never mind. I don't think I really want to know.

No comments: