Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gorilla Brazil

The other day, Matt was singing a song I didn't quite recognize. Josh listened to him and was able to do some translation for me. Matt was singing, "Gorilla, Gorilla Brazil!" Now, you may be just as confused as I was. The tune of this song is from a little movie about 101 dalmatians. The tune, therefore, is "Cruella DeVil." Yes, the mean lady in the movie 101 Dalmatians, according to Matt, is actually Gorilla Brazil.

Matt is not the only one to get confused by the lyrics of songs...

We have a cd of the LDS speaker John Bytheway talking about his confusion with the Primary song "In The Leafy Treetops." The second verse goes, "In my pretty garden the flowers are nodding." He didn't get the word nodding. He thought the song was saying the flowers are naughty.

Josh told me about his confusion with the Primary song "I Am a Child of God." The second verse goes, "I am a child of God. And so my needs are great." Josh always thought is was, "I am a child of God. And so my knees are gray." For the longest time he was afraid praying too much would turn his knees gray.

My Primary song confusion came with the song "Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked." The line that got me was, "They washed in streams and worked and played. Sundays they camped and read and prayed." I always sang it as, "They washed in streams and worked and played. Somedays they danced and read and prayed." Made sense to me. They needed a little stress relief sometimes, so why wouldn't they dance? I had forgotten about my childhood faux pas until this summer as I sang loud and proud with my Primary class. Yep, the pioneers I sang about danced.

I also had some issues with the Phil Collins song "Invisible Touch." The chorus goes, "She seems to have an invisible touch, yeah." I swore the song actually said, "She seems to have an invisible Tuff Shed." I didn't know why. Was she a witch? Wonder Woman? She needed something invisible to hide her invisible jet? So didn't get it.

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

That is funny. My youngest sings "felize naughty dogs"...

Lori said...

That IS funny. It's much better than Dave Stratton's daughter and her, what was it, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Hilarious!!