Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The real Real Housewives

There's not much that I watch on Bravo. Top Chef is about it. But I do see commercials for some of their other shows. One of the most advertised being The Real Housewives of... series. I think the latest one takes place in Washington DC.

If you like this show, fine. That's wonderful. I will admit that most of my opinion is based on the commercials since I've never actually seen an episode.

From what I understand, the premise is that a camera crew follows around several different "real housewives" in the city included in the title of the show. From what I've seen, these women live on the higher side of life. They often show some sort of tantrum by one woman or another. It seems pretty common for each woman to be flanked by an entourage of people.

I'd love to extend a challenge to Bravo network. Make a series about real Real Housewives. But don't insult us by using the term "housewife." Call us Homemakers or Domestic Goddesses or Family Manager.

And use some realistic women.

Women with no make up or even a chance to take a shower.

Women with children hanging on their legs.

Women trying to make sure homework is completed, dinner is hot, and their husband is ready for his nightshift all at the same time without the help of a tutor, nanny, chef, or personal assistant.

Women vacuuming at 8:00 pm because they can't stand the sight of broken crackers in the living room anymore.

Women who are 30 lbs overweight.

Women who love their husbands more than their friends.

Women that cry while on their knees praying to know how to handle their children.

Women tired from a long day of various activities and errands but still manage to read stories to their children.

Women forcing themselves to remember to take care of themselves, no matter how guilty it makes them feel.

Women who live boring, mundane lives that would never pull in huge ratings but find more happiness in the boring and mundane rather than the things that up the ratings.

So, there you have it. Straight from a real Real {ahem} Housewife.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget the acne and blemishes and the left over dishes that keep getting more dirty dishes put on them so that you can spend the last 15 minutes with your husband before he leaves for his nightshift...Or the Domestic Engineer who has to wear the same shirt she wore 2 days earlier because she can't get the laundry done before someone needs wiped on the toilet...

Sorry, it's been a long day! Great post!

Merinda Reeder said...

I'm a real housewife of Washington D.C. My entourage includes a 4-year old and an 18-month old. I'm totally in shape: in mommy shape. I'm living my dream, and occasionally tantrum... though not in public, usually. No, tantrums are usually performed by my entourage... in Home Depot, most recently. I don't know why I'm not on their show.

Carina said...

I love this post! You are definitely a domestic goddess. I read your post about the sandwiches. You deserve a show of your own.

And Mindy, I love it! You should give them a call.

Jeri Dawn said...

Shelly you always hit it right on the button. Your words are so true that I laugh and cry at the same time...Especially nice to read after I served everyone dinner and started feeding the baby only to have to get up to get drinks and then clean up the sippy cup that hit the floor and exploded and then get everyone seconds and then hold the baby because she was, by that time, done and screaming, so that I could START my now cold meal. Love it.