Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Relationship Theories: Is This True?

Okay, this is my third posting today, but I have a lot to say and they all deserve their own posting. Not that any of the things I dwell on are too important, but I feel inclined to share.

I was going through our old files and paper yesterday (hours of sorting, ugh!) and I came across this page we got from an education/parenting seminar Josh and I attended several years ago. It's about Metastructural Dynamics in relationships.

Josh and I did this test and proved it accurate. Take a look at it. Tell me how you and your partner do. Were Josh and I just lucky to have it prove accurate, or is this a legitimate theory?

"MDS, Metastructural Dynamics, is a therapeutic tool used to identify a personality profile and to identify the corresponding profile of who we energetically bring into our lives for partnership. Being aware of three patterns -- our sense of self, how we view time and how we view space -- together represent from birth 'our genetic wiring.'"

1. Our sense of self...whether we are I centered or Other centered
(75% of men are I centered; 75% of women are other centered)

2. Our sense of Time -- Big Now or Step by Step

3. Our sense of Space -- Telephoto or Wide Angle

There are four profiles that include the ideas of Time and Space
A. Wide Angle/Step by Step: Concretist
B. Telephoto/Big Now: Perfectionist
C. Telephoto/Step by Step: Realist
D. Wide Angle/Big Now: Idealist

According to this theory, the complementary pairs are concretist/perfectionist and realist/idealist. Also, one I centered, one Others centered. The opposites balance each other.

Josh and my results: Josh is a Concretist, Others centered (one reason he's a very good nurse).
I am a Perfectionist, I centered (no surprise I'm an actor).

Therefore, Josh and I complement each other perfectly. Is it the same for you and your partner? Is this accurate? Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

happyclay said...

omg i have NEVER found anything online about this - but its how me and my sisters and mother discuss all relationships. I centered / other centered the whole 75/25 thing

I'm I centered and my husband is other centered. Same of course with my sisters and mother.

where did you learn about it? I always have the hardest time explaining it to people!