Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

December 19, 1998, I met the man of my dreams face to face. We'd been exchanging letters for nearly six months and weekly emails for about two months.

Josh came home from his mission to South Africa about 11:45 that night after two days of traveling from South Africa to London to LA to Phoenix to Colorado Springs. Since this was pre-9/11 I stood with his family at the gate. We were all sporting those Groucho Marx glasses and fake noses. I stupidly stood in the back of the group with his aunt realizing that maybe it was a mistake for me to be there. I had asked Josh several times if he wanted me to meet him at the airport or meet him at church the following morning. He told me it was up to me. Not the answer I was hoping for. I was afraid that if I went to the airport I might appear too eager. But, if I waited to meet him at church the next morning we'd be watched intently by our entire ward that knew that I had begun writing letters to him after my family moved into the area the previous February. There were a lot of people interested in our "love story."

So, anyway, there I was in the back corner wearing these embarrassing glasses which I don't think I needed since he'd only seen a couple of pictures of me at that point in our relationship. He happily greeted his family and then his mother and sister pushed the two of us toward each other and he happily shook my hand since he was, after all, still a missionary.

We got delayed at the airport because some of his luggage was lost (of course) and then we headed to our stake president's home around 1am for Josh to be released. As we all left the stake president's house Josh's mom graciously acknowlegded the fact that he was no longer a missionary so it was okay for us to sit by each other in the van and even hug hello. She pushed him into my arms and we hugged. On the way up the mountain to drop me off at my house, Josh's sister kept whispering in his ear questions like, "Do you like Shelly? Do you think she's pretty? Do you want to kiss her?" I'm pretty sure he was a bit overwhelmed having just spent two years avoiding girls/women. Poor guy. I don't know how he managed to get past the terror of being thrust back into the world that way.

By about 3am we showed up at my house where my parents greeted us at the door. My dad was in his robe, but still as intimidating as possible. Mom had made hot cidar and cookies for us to enjoy. We sat around the table and talked for a while until my future husband and his family continued up the mountain to their home.

And that is how I spent Dec 19-20, 1998. Ten years ago I found my eternal and celestial companion. And now here we are. We have three incredible children and number four on her way at any time. We are even happier today than we were back then. Our love has multiplied and matured and I couldn't want anything more.

I love you, Baby!
This is the photo I sent to Josh while he was on his mission. No one can ever convince me that these $300 headshots were not worth the money!

The day Josh proposed to me was a Sunday, March 1999. He was in armor and asked me to marry him. He gave me a Precious Moments of a "Christian Soldier" and my ring was hung around the tip of the shield. What a romantic!

Here is our wedding day Saturday, May 8, 1999, at the Denver Temple. Isn't he so handsome?

4 comments:

colds1 said...

Very sweet . . . I've always like that head shot because it was the face I encountered all those years ago when I was told "You're a stranger."

Celine said...

Awww happy anniversary you guys!!
What a sweet story you two have!

Jabon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jabon said...

I have only heard some of that story. Very nice! I miss you guys