Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gender Fairness

So often our house is filled with the groanings of, "It's not fair!"

It's not fair that Matt doesn't have any early birthday presents.

It's not fair that Abby got to choose to do the vacuuming this week so Emma got stuck with the bathrooms.

It's not fair that Emma gets read to last each night.

It's not fair Mom gets to stay up late.

It seems that everything is supposed to be fair. And I'm trying really hard not to repeat the phrase I always heard: "Well, life isn't fair!" But I have (unfortunately) learned that life isn't fair. We don't always get the same amount of time, praise, commitment, or trials.

I think Burger King needs to learn this. Today we grabbed some kids' meals for the kids. The entire building is covered in Twilight posters with the upcoming release of Eclipse. I wasn't too surprised when Josh and I had Eclipse cups. But I was taken aback when the kids' bags sported Edward. Then the toy inside was an oversized plastic charm bracelet with a wolf and a heart on it. I sat there thinking, "Why would they be giving my children toys to promote a movie they aren't going to see?" Based on the other two movies, I'm pretty sure my kids aren't going to be seeing the new one. So why would they give the kids these toys?

Then it hit me. BK needs to be fair. For a few weeks the toys were for Ironman 2. I didn't consider that one inappropriate for the kids, though, because Josh plans on taking Matt to see it. And why not? It's a superhero film. But if they're going to promote a boy movie, don't they have to promote a girl one?

The answer is this: No. What happened to promoting gender-neutral movies that aren't PG-13? The meals are for kids under 13, why shouldn't the toys be a bit more age appropriate? It's just another proof that the world is more concerned about money than what's appropriate for kids.

Guess we're not doing kids' meals anymore.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I hate kids meals. They definitely do not stand up to the hype. But, my boys love them. The places really should be more careful on what they promote for the kids. Yeah they can have it up for the grown ups, but choose something better for the kids.

Lucky Larson's said...

We almost always ask for the toddler toy---really most of the time they are cooler -- so be picky and ask!

PS: I gained 2 pounds YUGG!