Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Next Project

Life is slowly getting back to normal. I've got a living room full of boxes to unpack and put away. I took them out of the garage to force myself to face them and do something about them. Yeah, that worked. It seems that I always have excuses to not work on them.... doctor appointments, projects with the kids, the need to sleep. But I digress.

I'm almost ready to allow my creative side to work again. I was working on a new story before the move, but I think I'll put it on hold. I'm thinking I need to explore a more personal journey. One that cuts to my soul. I think I'm going to entitle it Foibles of the Mormon Momma. All about a woman who recognizes her inability to be the perfect and ideal mother.

I thought of this as I was speeding to church on Sunday and showed up only five minutes late for the meeting. This is an accomplishment for me. I only broke one law (speeding -- I did make a full stop at the stop sign along the way) and I got there before the blessing of the Sacrament. Score.

I was thinking about my achievement and thought of my imperfections. I've noticed that so many of the mothers I know have at least one talent that they do so very well that makes them a good mom.

For instance, look at my sisters. Tara "goes and does." I've never known Tara to give up on anything or anyone. If something needs to be done, she does it. If something needs to be addressed, she does it. If someone needs to be loved, she does it. She can be aggressive (that's a compliment, Sis) when needed and is always determined. Her boys are learning to do this. She works for them and handles all of her responsibilities very well. She doesn't quit.

Lori is probably the quietest of the Williams kids, but she's also got the biggest heart. She's always there for everyone around her. She was only 24 (I think) when she was called to be the Primary President at church. This means she was responsible for the local organization of all the children's activities at church. She's so reliable and steady. She's a rock and is always there for her boys.

So my main character is going to discover and recognize those around her with the different talents. Of course, along the way she's going to learn more about herself and that she doesn't have to be the perfect and ideal mother. She just has to be confident in her own talents and she'll find more satisfaction in her calling as a mother.

I'm actually looking forward to this because as my character discovers her abilities, I think I'm going to have to find my own. After all, this is going to be a very personal story. A journey, if you will.

5 comments:

Carina said...

Oh I love that! I think that is a story that we all should write.

I have a dear friend who is so great at giving people compliments. She doesn't ever hold it in. She tells everyone what she likes and what she thinks is so great about you. She is a blessing to have around, a real cheerleader. She learned this from her mother, it is a great gift to give to others.

It is helpful for us to notice the good in others and not to compare. We were all given talents and challenges. I am always thankful to learn that people I thought were perfect aren't. Like you, Shelley. Thank heavens you fell off the pedestal because now I can love you more. :)

colds1 said...

While I applaud your new adventure and support you in it whole heartedly ... can I at least read your outline for your first book? I hate cliff-hangers! :)

Don't sell yourself short because you have so many qualities and talents that other wish for. The top of my list is your ability to dream and actually accomplish those dreams. Even those that you don't fully accomplish, you enjoy yourself as you work towards them! I don't even let myself dream, so I totally admire this about you. (enough sap from me ...)

Jabon said...

Cool Shelly! Sounds like a healthy personal journy to be on. I can relate.

Lori said...

You're not going to finish your other book? How sad :( I'll look forward to reading more when you get back to it. :)
I hope on this journey you find out just how awesome you are ane how much I look up to you. I love you so much and I'm so blessed to be your sister!

Tara Dawn said...

This sounds like it's going to be a best seller already! You know how us 'Mormon Moms' never feel like we are doing enough or good enough! Why, if we know God loves us, do we do that to ourselves?

BTW, thanks for what you said about me. That will help lift me when I feel inadequate with one or the other of my duties.

(and yes, I know I just totally contradicted myself one paragraph to the next!)