Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's a Small World

I know it's been a while since I've posted. I need to get some pictures from Abby's baptism and get those up. We had family staying with us for a week and a half. It was great fun, but I don't like going online a lot when I have real people in my living room with me. I prefer to reserve my virtual interactions when I'm bored and alone at night.

That being said, I do have some fun stuff to post.

I find the interweavings of human relationships fascinating. I love playing the "Kevin Bacon Game." You know, where you connect an actor to Kevin Bacon by the costars they have in common. For instance, Michelle Pfeiffer was in I Am Sam with Sean Penn who was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon. It's a fun game, although I usually like to use movies I've seen which limits me a bit. Here's a link if you want to play a little bit yourself.

Tonight we went for a bike ride and came across some LDS missionaries serving in our area. We stopped and talked to them for a while. Come to find out, one of them grew up in Colorado Springs in the same stake Josh and I attended when we lived in the mountains out there. His companion is from Syracuse, Utah, and attended Clearfield High School, which is where I graduated from. It was so funny.

This weekend, during our family BBQ after Abby's baptism, I was talking to my new aunt. She and my uncle got married a few months ago. They had gone to high school together in Montana in the 80s, but found each other again here in Arizona just a couple years ago. Around 1982, my aunt babysat me, my two sisters, and our three cousins. So, my introduction to her last summer was not actually the first time we'd met. Weird!

My sister-in-law told my brother that they almost got to meet each other nearly a year earlier than they did. Some friends of ours from Utah had moved to Colorado not long after we had. Their family lived in the same town as my sister-in-law. My brother was supposed to go to our Utah friends' house after a ball game one night, but he opted to head home instead. My sister-in-law was hanging out at our Utah friends' house that night. A fun game of "What if....?"

I've got another bout of stories running through my head. Love stories based on Josh and me. If we hadn't met the way we did, how would it have happened? There are tons of possibilities. I considered moving to Arizona once. Josh tried to get to BYU, where I wanted to go. Lots of opportunities, but I don't want to spoil what I may end up writing and trying to sell.

And using the Six Degrees of Separation theory (or Kevin Bacon Game theory), Josh and I were within 3 degrees of knowing each other before we actually met. I had met and visited with President Charsley, the mission president in Colorado in 1998. His family was from South Africa. Josh had dinner at Pres Charsley's parents' house while he served his mission there.

It's really interesting how our lives intertwine, and how few times we get to recognize that.

3 comments:

colds1 said...

I love the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, but I suck at it since I can't remember peoples' names!

Lucky Larson's said...

that is one more degree for us--I use to go to high school with the Charsley's kids--i lived in their stake growing up--love the accent!

Unknown said...

Was dinner with the Charsley's when Jon was done with his mission? Since he was Jon's mission president? Those are some great stories! Jon and I lived in the same town in Washington when I was 2 and he was 5. And my grandparents loved to come to Hermiston and go out to dinner, which is where Jon grew up. How fun to think that maybe they were in the same restaurant at the same times!?!