Friday, September 3, 2010

The Can of WD

One of the most difficult things about Josh working the night shift is letting him sleep during the day. It used to kill me to leave him alone. I was up and working or playing and wanted him with me. We'd be under the same roof and it took all my strength to leave the poor man alone.

Over the years it's gotten easier to let him sleep. But there's something that continues to pull me into our room during the day. Sometimes it's a valid excuse of needing something from the room. Sometimes it's just that I prefer to use the master bathroom than any other bathroom. Sometimes I just plain want to be in the room with him, even if he is sleeping, and I'll read or put a movie on the laptop. It's weird to miss someone even when they're literally right in front of you.

But I've learned to resist the urge to wake him up early.

The bedroom door, however, has yet to learn to resist the same urge.

So today I went grocery shopping and made sure I grabbed a can of WD 40.

I didn't think much more about it until I was at the register. Did you know you have to be over 18 to buy WD 40? What the heck is this world coming to? I sprayed that stuff on the hinges of the bedroom door and it's really gross. Do people seriously inhale this stuff? Psychos!!!

Anyway, I slapped that gross stuff on the hinges and now the door will let Josh sleep.

And I can keep stalking him.

3 comments:

Carina said...

I have been there. You put it so perfectly. It is REALLY hard to let them sleep. He was near, but so far away. Sadly, Aaron didn't deal well with the sleeping while we were there either. The poor man opted to go without or with only a little so he could play with us. He would hear the kids giggling or squealing with glee. He thought life was passing him by. I am glad I don't have that to deal with any more. It was very unhealthy for him.

Thank heavens Josh gets some sleep and will do even better with the WD40 trick. Happy Stalking! Though I hope you don't scare him to death when he wakes up to find you leaning over him. You just had to look at him, just to be near him and make sure he is still with you.

Kayleen said...

AMEN to all you said. I don't enjoy having a sleeping husband either when all the rest of the world is alive. But you get used to it. Now I have decided that it is better to let him work the 36hrs at a time, and let him do the sleeping at work...

Tara Dawn said...

DON'T tell Mom or Dad but I used to spray designs on the driveway with WD40 and light them on fire. It was heck-a cool! I'm sure Dad saw the rings burned into the cement and figured it out, but he never mentioned it to me.