Thursday, July 9, 2009

Unwanted Houseguest

We've had this houseguest for a while that is really getting under my skin. He's been hanging around for a few months now. I don't know that it's fair to label this houseguest as a male, because I'm pretty sure the female form hangs out around here too. This thing's name is "Not Me." I'm really hating Not Me. Not Me does all sorts of stuff that I keep blaming my kids for: cereal spilt all over the floor, dirty spots on the carpet, untidy rooms. Today Not Me wore his/her welcome to the point of getting kicked out of here as soon as I figure out how to wrangle him/her.

At lunchtime I was making the girls some mac and cheese. I pulled the butter out of the fridge and realized that it was very, very soft. Now, this has happened before. You can read that post here. So, I thought I just had to defrost the fridge and all would be well. I need all to be well because we have a trip to Colorado coming up next week and I really don't want my budget for that to be used for a new fridge.

Anyway, I figured the fridge needed defrosting and I'd get to it after I got some lunch. I decided to pull the food out of the freezer first, though, and stick it all out in the big deep freezer in the garage. See, last time this happened, the freezer wasn't freezing the food right and that affected the fridge. (Affected or Effected? I always get those confused.) So, the food in the fridge wasn't getting as cold as it should've.

I started freaking out when I realized that this time, the food in the freezer had defrosted. Not just a little bit, but completely. I was so upset because I didn't want to lose all the meat that had been frozen in there. I very calmly and carefully began unloading the freezer. YEAH, RIGHT! I totally began throwing things around and mumbling very loudly and getting all sorts of mad. And then I saw it: Not Me's contribution to this catastrophe. The freezer setting had been turned down to 1. With how defrosted everything was, it must've been turned down yesterday. Of course, I blamed my children but they all swore to me that it was Not Me! That stupid, hateful, crappy Not Me! S/he is totally not welcome here. I swear, if I catch him/her I'll kick his/her booty so hard!

Not Me, go home!!

4 comments:

Tara Dawn said...

Around our house, it's called "It was Cody!" Take a wild guess who is blaming whom. Also seems to be the same person who is making trouble.

Kids, ugh!

colds1 said...

Ricky hasn't figured out how to really blame his brother yet (when he tries he's laughing too hard to get away with it). Glory days to come.

Lori said...

There must be a whole family of Not Me's. Cause there's one hanging around our house too. Along with his brother "Chenchin" (Trenton). Yeah, guess who that one comes from. Only two and already knows how to do it.

Merinda Reeder said...

Line them up. Tell them that the next time the freezer setting is touched, they are eating nothing but oatmeal for a solid week.
That would do it for me.