Wednesday, May 12, 2010

da Vinci, I am Not

We're still painting and will be for several more days. Mostly because I suck.

Back in the day, from ages 12 to 18, I attended Girls Camp with the girls from church every summer. Girls Camp was filled with your typical expectations of girls camping: matching t-shirts, skits, girls screaming about bugs, late night talks around the campfire, bras flying on the flagpole.

And every year there was a craft. I am not a crafty person. I wish I was. I have the desire, just not the patience. You have to sit still and pay attention to small details when you do crafts. You have to start out slowly and through consistent practice you become proficient. I always dreaded sitting in the big canvas tent with my pre-cut supplies to make whatever cute thing it was. I wanted the cute thing, but I didn't want to spend the time doing it. I would've preferred sneaking off to play poker with Tootsie Rolls as our currency. Don't ever tell my daughters that, especially Abby.

Painting a wall is like completing a craft, but on a larger scale. You have to make sure you cover every little speck on the wall. And the trickiest part is the edges: the wall/ceiling, wall/baseboard, wall/trim, etc.

I don't do slow and steady. I want to get this sucker done with and move on. So, because of this I know I have to tape every surface that isn't supposed to be painted, otherwise it will be. This probably takes me as much time as it would if I just painted slower, but I know I won't mess up too much if I tape.

It just all takes soooo long!!!!! Day 3 is over. Josh goes back to work tomorrow, so I'll be painting solo for the next 6 days.

I just have to remind myself that we are actually still on schedule. We're just not going to be done early.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I love painting! I love crafts too. Just not sewing in any way. That craft is way beyond my capability. I wish I was there to help. I'm pretty good at the trim part. It's going to be such a great accomplishment when you're all done. You're doing great!!!

colds1 said...

There's cheating tools for the edges ... usually not very expensive and save me a ton of time and sanity. I get my favorite one at Ace, but I've seen them at Lowes. It looks like a flat sponge with a handle and little wheels. LOVE IT!

Wish I could help!

Merinda Reeder said...

Ah Cindy, you cheat!
I painted for the school district (with Cindy) for a few summers. I do it as if Richard Keller is going to come inspect.
I have the same problem, and always did then, too: I'm not meticulous by nature and I'd rather move fast.
But when I do paint something, I do good work.
After all, Richard will make me fix it if it streaks or looks bad.

Lucky Larson's said...

even with tape my paint "leaked" some---the edging tool really is awesome! Use it!

Keep at it--I know how you feel--I painted one room and wanted to scream---

Find a good book on tape, and just enjoy!