Friday, November 28, 2008

Random Thoughts of the Day

Here are some things that went through my mind today:


1. Josh's picture from the previous DWTS post was used when we made this picture for Homecoming. We lived on campus last year and our apartment complex had a competition to see who could decorate their front window for the Superhero Homecoming theme. We won. Of course, only one other window (out of about 40 apartments) competed. But it was still fun. Josh drew this, by the way.
2. Yesterday our neighbor approached Josh and asked him if we got rid of our dogs. The sad truth is that, yes, we had to find them more suitable homes. This was a very hard decision to make and it took us a few months to decide to do it. When we got our dogs we expected to buy a few acres further out in the country and they would have plenty of room to run and work. They're border collie/Aussie shepherd mixes. Anyway, keeping them cooped up in our backyard with Josh working so much, the kids so young, and me high-risk pregnant, we couldn't give them the attention and work they needed, so Bear went to a family in a nearby small town with a few acres and Jessie went to a Heuterite colony (for simplicity's sake think "Amish") to be a cattle/sheep dog. They'll be much happier and in a few years we'll do more research on the breed of dog that fits our family's lifestyle better. Anyway, this neighbor went off on Josh about how "when you get a pet, you should be committed." I really don't need or want his judgement. MYOB, dude.
3. There seems to be a hypocrisy when it comes to teaching children how to handle other people. We always tell our children to be nice and kind, but it's come to my attention that we also have to teach them to stand up for themselves. Where exactly is the line between nicely telling someone to leave you alone and firmly making them leave you alone? I feel like a hypocrite telling my children to be aggressive when I'm always telling them to be nice.
4. Black Friday is a stupid idea.
5. My biggest fear right now is that my water is going to break. I've never had an early delivery, except for Matt, but he was induced a week early. I have no reason to believe that Millie will come any earlier than we've already planned, but in my mind I've formulated an emergency plan of what to do with my children if I suddenly go into irreversible labor. Plus, I know the ER phone number by heart so I can warn Josh that I'd be coming in. Overreacting? Probably. I'm so paranoid of my water breaking that I'm nervous sitting on our nice couch.
So, how was your day?

No comments: