Thursday, October 29, 2009

Evolution of a Mother

I recognize that I have changed a lot over the years. I am no longer the happy-go-lucky girl I once was. Now I like schedules and routines. But as much as I have changed as a person, I have also changed as a mother. Over the last 8 1/2 years I have evolved in motherhood.

Baby 1: Mommy says, "Oh, look at all these cute new baby clothes! I'm so lucky!"
Baby 4: Mommy says, "Oh, look at all these hand-me-downs! I'm so lucky!"

Baby 1: Mommy says, "Somebody went poopies! Let's change your bottom!"
Baby 4: Mommy says, "Ugh! Go change your diaper, Baby! You stink so much you're making me gag!"

Baby 1: Mommy sterilizes Baby's high chair and puts her food in a nice little bowl because even babies can learn good table manners.
Baby 4: High chair, schmigh chair. Mommy swept the floor so Baby's Cheerios go in a pile on the floor for much easier access.

Baby 1: Mommy says, "Oh no! Baby is sick! Call the doctor for an appointment in the morning."
Baby 4: Mommy says, "Someone grab me the Tylenol. We're in for a crappy night."

Baby 1: Baby is sleeping and the house is silent. Mommy can catch up on house stuff or maybe even rest.
Baby 4: Mommy yells, "YOU KIDS BETTER BE QUIET AND STOP RUNNING AROUND BEFORE YOU WAKE UP THE....OH! OH, GREAT! NOW SHE'S AWAKE, GOOD GOING, KIDS!"

Baby 1: Mommy says, "Look! Look she's walking!"
Baby 4: Mommy says, "Oh no! I just un-kid-proofed everything!"

Wow. It sounds like I've become quite cynical and negative over the last few years. Maybe someday (in at least 17 years) I'll get to be that happy-go-lucky girl again.

3 comments:

Tara Dawn said...

Good luck to you on that. I have been trying to bring back a little bit of carefree into my life for a while. It's not been working out so good. Too overwhelmed in my responsibilities to be easy going.

Lori said...

Too stuck in the house cause it's stinkin snowing (AGAIN!) to be easy going. My house is too small for this no school on a Thurs. I'm very much cynical myself. I wish I could be happy-go-lucky! I SOOOO need it!

I do like the comparison's. They are VERY realistic! :)

Merinda Reeder said...

Love it. Cheerios on the floor sounds pretty happy-go-lucky to me. Imagine if you were still spending all that effort on cleaning a high chair before putting a dish on it... I mean honestly, the space and time wasted. :)