Thursday, October 15, 2009

One Goal

Today I have just one goal: SURVIVE!

Let me preface this by saying that I'm really enjoying staying with my sister Tara and her family. They have been so generous to allow 6 additional bodies to overtake their home. And I really hope that I'm helping them out with their three boys, meals, and trying to keep the house standing.

The challenge right now is that this week has been Fall Break. For an entire week I've had 7 kids that I've been trying to take care of ages 11, 8, 7, 5, 4, 11 months, and 9 months. The kids had their regular half day on Wednesday and then additional half days on Thursday and Friday. They've been out of school this week and are off yet again next Monday. It's like Arizona doesn't want the kids in school or something.

The additional challenge is that the kids have gotten along pretty good so far. I'm not jinxing myself by saying this. I already know a blow up with the kids will happen. They're kids. And 57% of them are my kids. And as much as I'd like to avoid this by keeping the kids engaged in fruitful activities, that just hasn't happened. For one thing, I don't have enough seatbelts in the car. For another, I don't want to carry two infant carseats around at once (my exercising has resumed--look for 'Fess Up Friday tomorrow--but I'm not that good). And the other problem is paying for five kids to do something. The park is the obvious solution, and I'm sure there's one closeby, but I've resigned myself so much that now I'm just lazy.

So, with the bickering picking up today, I just want to survive. There may be naps in our immediate future, and for more than just little ones. I WILL SURVIVE!

2 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

fun activity for multiple kids in Arizona.... hmm. Put the sprinkler on and let them run through it (weather permitting). Oh, and lay around and watch videos. :)

Lori said...

I hope you find something that will help you cope. Vacation days with nowhere to go are hard! I love you though!!!