Monday, October 26, 2009

Halloween Diva

My husband loves Halloween. Having an October birthday, he often combined his birthday with Halloween. My children also love Halloween. Halloween is a big deal to all these people. They love the costumes, the candy, the scary movies (Josh does, at least).

Here is where we insert the song, "Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you!" I don't dig Halloween. I'm not excited by costumes. I can have chocolate any day of the year. And I don't do ghost or bloody movies.

I'm going to put myself out there for all of you to judge: I prefer having a costumer and entire costume department to dress me up. I love having my own makeup artist. I get a kick out of someone else doing my hair. As "low maintenance" as I try to be in my everyday life, I don't enjoy Halloween because it's too much a do-it-yourself affair. I am a Halloween Diva. When kids come to our door (because I don't want to take the kids trick-or-treating so Tara will take the big kids while our husbands are at work and I'll stay home with the babies and answer the door) I'll be wearing...wait for it....REGULAR CLOTHES! I know, I am NO FUN! I did get into the spirit a bit today as we prepared the kids' costumes for the Trunk or Treat for church tomorrow night. The kids are going to look great and I enjoyed getting their stuff together this year. I just wish Josh didn't have to work so he could enjoy the night. He had to work last year too. (Last year my brother took the kids trick-or-treating.)

I do wish I got into the spirit more. I hate being the stick in the mud. But I will do everything in my power to make sure the kids have the costumes, hair and make up they want. I'll be their costumer/hair/makeup artist. And I'll be glad that Josh will be there to help me with it all before they leave Saturday night. Maybe next year I'll learn how to make our costumes so we can all be really cool. Maybe that will help me get into it more.

6 comments:

Lori said...

I'm a little bit like you, Shell. I don't go "hog wild". But I do like to dress up a little bit. James on the other hand does not. I have to ask him over and over again to wear what I picked out for him because he will not pick anything out. It's kind of a drag. I wish I was capable of making costumes also. I think that would be nice, but I'm too lazy to even try!

What are your kids being this year?

Crisanne said...

Shelly, I too will be in regular clothes when trick-or-treaters come to the door. Dennis has always hated Halloween (even as a kid!), but will take the kids around to a few neighbors houses. After they are home again we usually park the car in the garage, turn off all the lights upstairs and hide in the basement watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". That's as spooky as it gets for me! Yea, we are the Halloween Scrooge's!!

Tara Bennett said...

*gasp!*

How could you not love Halloween?!?!

It's not just about costumes and candy. It's about fall, crisp cool air (yes, I know you now live in AZ, but run with me here), cute decorations and colors, family traditions (our families have a gazillion if you want to borrow any let me know), it's the kick-off to the entire holiday season.

Come around, girl! It's a FAB time of year!!!

Jeri Dawn said...

Don't do it! I decided to be a stalwart mother and save money and make costumes one year. What a nightmare. I didn't save any money and I ended up having my neighbor fix all my costume mistakes. It doesn't help your attitude either..trust me on this one.

colds1 said...

It is better if I just keep my mouth shut on this one! :)

Unknown said...

Ok..next year, go as a slumber party! Everyone wears pj's and you use pillow cases for candy sacks! It's easy and quick and you don't have to go all out! (it's my idea for next year...)