Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Leave It Alone or Remake It: That is the Question

Last night I was inspired by the television. Today I got to thinking about movies.



Today Abby chose the movie Annie for us to watch. If you've been reading along with me for a while, you know that I love that movie. Because of Carol Burnett, who played Ms Hannigan, I developed my comedic timing and ended up playing several drunken idiots in college (on stage, not in real life). I've always aspired to play Ms Hannigan on stage. Forget Annie. I want to be the scantily clad, mean, drunk lady. (Give me a break--I never really rebelled as a youngster.) I was horrified when I discovered that the version we were watching was the Disney version made in 1999. I have nothing against the actors in that movie. I love Kathy Bates. But she ain't no Carol Burnett. I watched enough to realize that it wasn't an exact replica, but it wasn't too far from the original movie.


Here's my question: Why mess with a good thing? The 1980s version was just fine the way it was. And it didn't omit the song where Ms Hannigan tries to seduce Mr Warbucks (one of the best songs on the soundtrack). I know, it sounds like I'm promoting a filthy movie, but I just love it.
So I got to thinking. What movies would I boycott if they were remade? Here's a very brief list.


Gone With the Wind (unless they expand it another three hours to include all the material from the book that wasn't in the movie)


Casablanca




A Christmas Story


I'm sure there are more, but my mind is blank right now. Any ideas? What other movie remakes should we boycott if they are ever made? And on the other hand, which remakes do you think were successful? My votes go to Oceans 11, The Shaggy Dog, and Father of the Bride.

8 comments:

Lori said...

Is that the Annie with "The Growing Pains" girls as Annie? I've never seen it. I think you brainwashed us into knowing the first one is the best. :) If they redid "Gone with the wind" it would bomb. They definitely wouldn't be able to make anything better in that one!!

colds1 said...

Movies that should NOT have been redone: Parent Trap, Yours Mines and Ours, Willy Wonka, Charlotte's Web, Miracle on 34th Street, the original Star Wars movies (not really re-done, but messed with)

Okay with the remakes: Stepford Wives (never saw the original because it sounded freaky), Cheaper by the Dozen (although it resembles the original not at all), Freaky Friday (again, nothing like the book), You've Got Mail (original a snoozer)

They'd better leave 'em alone: White Christmas, the Indiana Jones series, Calamity Jane, Rat Race, Wizard of Oz (did you ever see the second one that was made? "Return to Oz" Ick!), Anne of Green Gables

Tara Bennett said...

I'm on the fence with this question. I loved the recent versions of Parent Trap & Freaky Friday (I'm sure many would disagree with me on that).... I hated the newer versions of The Grinch and others that I can't think of. Anyway, I think it's hit and miss, but I tell ya what -- I don't think Annie should have been remade. ugh, no one compares to Carol Burnett.

Crisanne said...

I'm disagreeing with all of you just because I feel contrary tonight! Just kidding. Kind of.
I agree with Tara that this is hit and miss. Hmm... good remakes: The Italian Job, Pride & Prejudice (though I can still sit through the original 6 hour one with no complaints whatsoever!).
Bad remakes: The Pink Panther (why oh why did they ever even attempt it?), Cheaper by the Dozen (sorry Cindy, I never saw the original, but I love the book, and HATED the movie!), The Music Man.
I am seriously concerned with the rumors that are flying about regarding the remakes of Clue and My Fair Lady. I think I may boycott just because the originals are so good!

colds1 said...

Remaking Clue?! My heart be still!! That is blasphemous!

Merinda Reeder said...

See, with Parent Trap they had such potential, such possibility. I love Dennis Quaid, love Natasha Richardson. The script was garbage.
And Shop around the corner a snoozer? Cindy! But You've got Mail was a good remake.
HATE and LOATHE the Grinch remake. foul.
Agree with Casablanca. Can't be redone.
Every attempt at remaking or leaning on "It's a Wonderful Life" has been horrible.
I already boycotted the Pink Panther.

Tara Bennett said...

I seriously love the Pink Panther remakes. Oh, and have to agree with P&P. I was against the idea, but did love how it turned out.

Unknown said...

I have to admit that we purchased that Annie because I was under the impression it was the original. I had no idea they redid it until after we received it in the mail and started watching it. I was so disappointed!!