Monday, January 4, 2010

A Day At The Park

Today I took the kids to the park. Don't ask me why, but I just don't enjoy taking them there. It's just down the street from our house. I don't know what the big deal is. And it's nothing personal against my children. I just don't like going to the park. I still owe my brother Peter a trip to the park. Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed since he's now 23 and he and his wife are having a baby in two months.

I did find it interesting that each kid enjoyed a specific area of the park.

Millie: Loved the dirt. Some eating of it, but mostly letting it slide through her fingers. The park had no swings (what's up with that???) so I don't know if she would have liked them, but I have a feeling that she might have.

Matt: Also loved the dirt, but he mostly liked the kicking, throwing, and digging in it. I'm surprised we didn't bring more of it home with us.

Abby: Loved the monkey bars. She loved swinging rung to rung and discovering that the sand could keep her hands from being too sweaty and slippery.

Emma: Loved the bridge connecting the two sets of slides. It was her favorite place to be as she imagined that she was a princess being held captive by the evil queen. Luckily, the evil queen had installed an emergency exit so Emma was able to escape. Silly evil queen.

It's pretty obvious that I need to be more willing to spend time at the park with the kids. Happily, we don't live near Bus Stop Mom anymore, so the lady I ran into today was a lady from church and we had a very pleasant conversation. I may have made a friend.

I guess the park's not so bad after all.

2 comments:

Lori said...

It's always so much nicer to go to the park when mom has a friend too. That's one reason we don't go very often. I get so bored. Plus it's freezing and always so windy at our park. I'm glad you may have made a friend and that Bus stop mom is no longer in the picture.

Unknown said...

I have a feeling we'll be going there a bunch...my kids LOVE parks, and I have mixed feelings...they have lost their appeal since I can't fit on a lot of the toys anymore!