Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reading Rainbow Connection

I've begun homeschooling the kids. I'm doing this for several reasons, one of which is because we will probably move again before the end of the school year and the kids would most likely change schools again. Instead of making them go to 4 schools this year, they'll just go to 2, plus homeschool.


Part of our curriculum includes the kids reading chapter books. Santa brought a few for the kids' stockings this year. After we finish reading all the books, I think we might watch the movies.


Here's the rundown of who is reading what:


Emma has already finished her book from Santa...
Anne of Green Gables
Abby and I are reading together...

Pollyanna

Matt and I are reading...

Treasure Island

I'm very happy that Emma has already finished her book. I need to get the whole series for her to read. Abby goes back and forth about being excited about reading her book. I'm fascinated by the story, but then again, I love Haley Mills movies. Remember when she was Miss Bliss on Saved By the Bell? Ah, those were the days.

The kid that has impressed me the most is Matt. He has never been one to sit still for anything, but he brings me his book and asks me to read to him a few times a day. It's been great. I think he'll love the Muppet version of the movie. I never liked the older version of the movie when my dad would watch it when I was a kid, but now that I'm reading it, it's a good story.

Now I just have to get Netflix or something so I can find these movies.

2 comments:

Lori said...

My library lets you borrow movies for up to a week. They have a very limited selection of course, but they do have "Anne." I watched it maybe a year ago. You could check to see if your library does this too. It's great cause of course they're free. Unless you're late.

Kayleen said...

My kids have just discovered the magic treehouse books. THEY LOVE THEM!!! They are adventure, and have just enough suspense to keep it going! Try those if you run out of options, and there are like 40 of them. Keep them reading!! Too much of life is based on being literate!