Monday, February 1, 2010

Aw, Man!

So, have you seen the previews for Percy Jackson and the Olympiads? My cousin Jon told me about it, but I just saw the preview the other day. Sure, it looks like it's going to be interesting. Yeah, it may be well done. But, dang it, I'm bummed.

I'm currently writing my novel. Granted, I'm not very far into it and I have plenty I want to rewrite already, but I was really, really hoping there wouldn't be some blockbuster movie about Greek gods anytime soon so I wouldn't look like a copycat.

So, this movie looks like it's about a girl, the daughter of Athene, who saves the world because of her godly gifts. Mine is also about a girl, the daughter of Apollo, who saves the world using her godly gifts.

I don't know much else about the movie, and I don't know that I want to until I finish writing mine, but I think my story is different enough to be a good story. Now, since this other one is out, my story will be compared to this one. Crud.

Oh well. It's my story that I've been wanting to tell and I should just go ahead and tell it, even if I do look like I'm riding on the tail of someone else's work. Such is the life of an author, eh?

7 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

There is a whole series -5 so far -Jasper has read them all. The first book is The Lightening Thief (and the first movie) by Rick Riordan. They are pretty good! I'm sure your novel will be completely wonderful and unique.

Crisanne said...

Shelly, keep on writing!
I hate to admit it, but I have this entire book series in paperback (and am getting new copies in hardback for my birthday.) My sister-in-law borrowed my paperback copies and thrashed them. I. was. NOT. happy.
Since the outbreak of Harry Potter novels, I have read so many fantasy/magical books with far better story lines, and much better writing. But, would they really have been considered as easily for publication prior to J.K. Rowling? I know that you can write something even better than Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson series author). So... just go for it!

Crisanne said...

By the way...
I call first 'dibs' at any proof-reading and very un-biased critiquing that you will certainly, at some point in time, need done!!

Lori said...

I bought the book for Tyler. He has started it, but hasn't gotten that far into it. So's the life of a third grader. I keep telling myself that I need to read it too.

But Shelly, I'm sure your book with be JUST as famous. Why? Cause you're YOU!!!

colds1 said...

I hadn't heard of the books or the movie. What a bummer!

Jeri Dawn said...

I will read your book! And then I will rave about how wonderful an author you are and how I knew you way back when.

By the way....I am thinking about you today as I count my calories and avoid the cream cheese frosted cupcakes that we decorated for FHE last night.

Tara Bennett said...

Keep dreaming and keep writing! Don't get discouraged. You are amazing :)