Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nephew Number 8

Today my baby brother Peter and his wife Genica welcomed Brayden Michael Williams into the world. And if you pay attention to initials, you will discover that Brayden's are BMW. That is not a coincidence. Some people's brothers are weird. But, he was born today (February 25) at 7 lbs 8 oz and 19 1/2".

I don't have any pictures of the new bundle of joy yet, but can I just say...

I'm So Happy!!!

I love my brother and I love my SIL. They are such good people and will make incredible parents. They've been given an incredible gift with this little boy. They also have some major challenges ahead of them. Brayden has Gastroschisis. That's where some of his digestive system grew outside of his abdomen. Until he was born no one knew to what degree he had it. From what I've heard, it's a bit more severe than we all hoped, but with a surgery or two (hopefully) he'll be put together and will be able to come home within about six weeks after his final surgery.

If you have any extra prayers laying around, I'm sure they would be happy to accept them. Both Pete and Genica are enrolled in school this semester. Genica has online classes, so she will be able to complete them as she stays in Salt Lake City with Brayden. Pete, however, will have to go back up to Logan to finish his classes at Utah State University. He'll have to be away from his wife and son during the week and only see them on the weekends. My heart is heavy for them, mostly because I have an inkling of what lays ahead of them: hospital living with a baby in the NICU is NO FUN! And being separated because life doesn't stop is difficult. And living with the guilt of "We live in a town not suited for my child's health problems so I can finish my degree" is extremely rough.

Luckily, both sets of grandparents are there to make immediate life easier for Pete and Genica. But if you happen to think of them, please say a prayer for them. The next few months are going to be challenging, to say the least.

I love you, Peter, Genica, and Brayden!! Wish I was there to hold all of you!

2 comments:

Lori said...

I SOOOO wish I was there too. But I'm glad that mom and dad are able to be there. In my mind I am constantly giving my little brother and sis big huge hugs. Cause that's all I'm able to do right now. I hope the time goes by fast for them and the Dr's are able to fix the problem quickly and with very few surgeries.

Jabon said...

Wow, I did not know all of those details, thanks for passing that on.