Monday, March 1, 2010

I Enjoy Being A Girl

This weekend we had a little extra testosterone in our house. I had three of our nephews over Friday and Saturday. It was a definite reminder that our house is usually very female-dominated. The kids had fun and I had to pull the big gate out to keep babies out of certain areas, so it was a pretty successful weekend.

I've realized how comfortable I am with my feminine atmosphere. I've never been a girlie-girl, in fact Josh proudly refers to me as "not high maintenance." But I have been trying to do more girl things with my girls. Lately, we've been playing with hair more. I heard about this website "Girls Hairdos & Ideas" from someone (I can't remember who--if it was you, sorry I don't remember) and began following it.
The hairstyles are so cute and I've had a lot of fun remembering how to inside out braid and Abby loves having her hair done. It's been fun to do.


But as much as I've begun playing with the girls' hair, I have also stayed true to my feminist convictions. I don't go burning my bra, but I do like the stories of strong women. Lately I've been watching Ever After, with Drew Barrymore and Angelica Houston. I love that movie, even though Drew's performance isn't her best--she's a bit stilted and I'm not sure if it's because she struggles with the accent or it's just her characterization. Anyway, it's a new spin on the Cinderella story. My favorite part is when the prince comes to save her. I won't say any more in case you haven't seen it yet.




I also love the story The Paper Bag Princess. It's a must-read.



Although I dread what our house may be like in about five years, I do love my girls and I think they are fun. Of course, I love my son too and hope someday he can have that elusive brother he keeps talking about.

In case you've never heard the song "I Enjoy Being a Girl," check it out here.

Read

I Enjoy Being A Girl Lyrics

here.

3 comments:

Celine said...

Awww cute! I'm off to check out that website! ^^

colds1 said...

There is always too much testosterone in my house! The female cat and I bond a lot!

While I only have my hair to do, I have enjoyed this website http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/ She does a lot of cute stuff and throws in stories about baby adoptions (she adopted her son). Fun Abby hair, by the way!!

Lori said...

Way cute hair! Sometimes I wish I had someone small that I could do their hair. I am looking forward to having our little girl puppy here in the next week or so. :)

I LOVE "Ever After". It's a great movie!