Monday, July 5, 2010

The Bloggest Loser -- Week Eleven

Cindy won last week. Go, Cindy. Just imagine what can happen once you're allowed to exercise.

I'm sick. And it was Matt's birthday week. I did not complete very many of my goals. My head is currently so stuffy that I don't know that it's safe for me to write this, but I'm already late getting it posted. Anyway, I'm stable. My plateau is safe. The goose egg is secure.

So, do I dare, with my current state of mind, try to tell a little about the few who have stayed constant with me through this journey? Of course. Who am I to back down from a challenge? Everyone who's still in this is tough. You can all handle what I may or may not say about you. (I would throw out a crazy kind of laugh here, but I'd start sneezing or something and ruin the effect.)

Okay....

Amy. You can read her blog at Larsons Are Lucky. Amy and I met at Adams State in Colorado when we were both Theatre students. We didn't really know each other before we worked together on Good Night, Desdemona Good Morning, Juliet. I remember finding it surprising that we had been theatre majors together for a year and hadn't met. Not only because our department was small, but because we were the only two active Mormons in the department. It's funny how we Mormons gravitate to each other, no matter where we are. Amy and I were friends from the time we worked on Desdemona on. We were both pregnant during our time in school and took turns nursing our little babies in the Green Room. We lost touch for a while after college, seeing each other only occasionally in Walmart, but Facebook brought us back together. I like Amy. She has two beautiful little girls and is the busy wife of a trucker.

Carina. I lost Carina for a while, but the magic of Facebook brought us back together again too. Carina and I have been friends for a long time. I think our friendship really blossomed senior year of high school when we both served on the Seminary Council for our Released Time Seminary classes. We had so many great spiritual moments. I will always remember those first few weeks, especially, when we bonded and came together. Carina is such a meek person. I don't know if everyone understands the incredible compliment I mean that as. Meekness is Power under Control. This is what Carina is. She is a person of such strength, but she does everything with such love and kindness. I don't think there's a mean bone in her body (to use a bad cliche, but I mean it). She has five children and obviously adores them very much.

Cindy. Cindy has been my BFF since about 1992. Right? Cindy, if that's wrong, remember I'm sick. For Cindy's wedding each of her friends were asked to create a quilt square signifying some aspect of our friendship. Would it surprise anyone if I were to say my quilt square has a movie quote on it? I chose my first real memory of her. One day in 8th grade Cindy came bouncing over to me in our PE class. I sat in the back of the last row because we sat alphabetically. Cindy asked me, "Shelly, what's your last name?" I said, "I can't tell you that." "Why not?" I told her, "Because you're a straaaanger." That's a direct quote from Home Alone and Cindy played right into my 14-year-old-overly-dramatic hands. Cindy and I have never lost touch. She's an incredible friend that has been with me through junior high, high school, college, singlehood, young marrieds, childlessness, childbirth, ups, downs, the worst times of my life, and the best. I'm getting mushy and I know she doesn't care for that, but I love her and (except for Josh) she's the best friend I've ever had. She has four beautiful little boys -- although I've got to go see Number Four for myself. And she's the epitome of the term "Domestic Goddess."

We only have a month left of our competition. Think we can do any good? Calculate your weight loss and leave a comment. If you want to join us for the last few weeks, do it. I have a lot of weight to lose to reach my goal, so if you're just starting, you won't be far behind. At all.

So, tell me your percentage lost, your highs, your lows, your favorite color, your favorite imaginary creature. Whatever you need to get off your chest. And hopefully I'll be feeling better soon and back to my exercise regime. Hopefully.

4 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

I've been the biggest loser in a different way the past few weeks.... I haven't been sticking to my goals at ALL. Life has been so hectic and insane that I have only been trying to survive, not lose weight. I feel proud to announce that I've only gained 2 lbs. Of course that is not what I set out to do.... gain 2 lbs, but life is crazy.

The good thing: everything is a learning experience. I have learned how much documenting what you eat really helps you to lose weight. I have been mentally trying to keep track and not been eating bad, yet I have lost nothing and gained 2. So writing it down is the way for me. And exercising. And getting enough sleep.

So I'm hoping after Oby's surgery is over and now that Chloe's Croup is coming to a close, and Syracuse Days is over, I can get back into somewhat of a healthy routine. I'm planning on doing a 1/2 marathon for the playground in Sept so running should help with my goals too!

Thanks for your ongoing inspiration. And Go, Cindy!

Merinda Reeder said...

3-week loss of 2 lbs for 1%
Girls camp killed my blogging, calculating, and all that, but I'm back. And I'm serious.
I think Cirls camp might have lost me the pounds. That's just a theory, though. If my bathroom and my kitchen were 1/4 mile from my bed and my kitchen cupboards, I would be a LOT skinnier. Every time I ate, I had to go back to my tent for my mess kit, and then go put it away after. Gotta pee? gotta hike.
My favorite color: I have two daughters. It wasn't pink before, but now...
Favorite imaginary creature: I'd love to have a house elf... and I'd be nice to it, for real.
Off my chest: that's not the problem. It's my stomach, butt, thighs, and upper arms that need something to be got off.
I hope for you a successful week.

Lucky Larson's said...

Thanks Shelly! How nice of you!

I lost .5 pounds and have no idea the %, but I am not winning, so honestly this week I didn't care to figure it out (I am kind of a sore loser, but really just busy).

I have been running (ok I ran about 5 times), but when I exercise my eatting goes to crap, so this week I will exercise and eat smaller portions!

thanks for doing this ShellY!

Carina said...

Yay, I am so glad to see some of our other friends back here. We have missed you.

WOW, Shelly! I will have to save that somewhere, it made me want to cry. You dish out really kind compliments when you are sick. But if you ask my family I do indeed have several mean bones in my body and sometimes they might even say they are the largest bones in my body. Hmmm, maybe that is where the weight comes from. ;)

Sorry about not weighing in last week, my poor niece is in a neck brace for the rest of the summer after she slipped on our wet trampoline. :( It was a long week. But I did end up with a 1% weight loss from those two weeks even with the stress and family vacation.

I hope I didn't blow it this week though. The 4th was fun and I did pretty well until I went to my bro & sis in-laws for a 6 hour BBQ and firework celebration. I always feel very uncomfortable there. It was just their family and ours. They live in an upscale neighborhood and have snooty attitudes. They run in 100 mile races and she is overweight if she is near 120. They often express their opinions and judge others. I have been so thankful that I was not raised around that kind of environment and thank all of you for not being that way. I knew that I would be tempted to eat the wrong things in this situation, so I packed a salad, a veggie tray, a fruit tray, baked chips and made healthy brownies (I will have to share that recipe, mmmm). They left us often to take care of their baby, talk to neighbors, etc. So what could I do but sneak some chips, cookies, brownies or homemade fruit ice cream when they weren't looking??????? I feel so bad about it and hope that I can break the habit of eating under stress. This was the worst kind of stress though because in other situations I can go out and be active. Here I was trapped. I am sorry but my mean bones are showing. I had to get that all off of my chest (Even though I hope those don't keep shrinking as I lose weight) I need to find exercises for that too. ;)

Then the last 2 days I was at Cub Scout camp and around several adults who were complaining a lot. So again I had pent up tension and later came home and grabbed the wrong things or just kept eating. Maybe it has to do with the timely part of the month around the corner. OR could it be because my husband has been out of work for the last few months and I am going CRAZY???? I hope I can pick myself up and get headed in the right direction again and SOON. Love ya Shelly! You are Wonderful! Sorry about my spill here. I needed to spill it somewhere.