Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tombstone or Bust!

Yesterday Josh and I took the kids out for an adventure. We called it:

ADVENTURE!!!!
I know. Such a creative name. Really, anyone else may look at our adventure and think that it was just a bunch of unpreparedness. Well, so what if it was? We had fun, so that's all that matters.
I told the kids that we were going to go on a field trip. The girls got all excited and asked where we were going. I told them Tombstone. They started screaming and clapping and jumping up and down. Finally, after a good 60 seconds of celebration, they calmed down and asked me what Tombstone is. They're so weird.
I explained it's an Old West town and had some museums in it. They were excited (again) to go.
First, we left very late in the day. I don't know if my children have told you lately, but I'm pretty mean and made them do all their chores before we could leave.
Then, we grabbed the atlas and took off. We couldn't remember how far away Tombstone is since the last time we went there we had no children. But we knew it would be a couple hours.
Three hours later, we arrived in town. We went over to the O.K. Corral to check it out.



Unfortunately, we got there 15 minutes after it closed. And 15 minutes after most of the shops in town closed.

But there were a couple of shops open. We had promised the kids they could buy whatever they wanted as long as they didn't go over their $10 max. So we now have a few new horses and cap guns laying around our house.

Josh and I thought it was kind of funny that the movie stills we saw were mostly from the Kurt Russell Tombstone instead of the Kevin Costner Wyatt Earp. Even the town of Tombstone thinks Kevin Costner sucks. Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!


We saw a buggy driving down the streets of Tombstone, but we missed the shoot out in the streets.


We completed our adventure by taking the backroads home. It shaved about thirty minutes off our drive, even in the dark. It was a bit after midnight when we got home, but it was fun.
ADVENTURE!!!!
We now have a much better idea of how to do a good visit to Tombstone. The only thing really worth seeing in town is the O.K. Corral and it's accompanying museum. So, next time we'll plan it a little better. We will drive the backway to Tombstone and visit some really cool caverns in one of the towns nearby. Then we'll go to Tombstone for lunch, visit the O.K. Corral and watch the 2pm shoot out in the streets.
So, some may consider our six hours in the car for an hour look around Tombstone a waste of time, but we had lots of fun together. And that's never a waste.


I do think we need to go get the BlueRay copy of Tombstone. Who doesn't love Kurt Russell, especially as someone as cool as Wyatt Earp? He's awesome. Sam Elliot and Bill Paxton are wonderful as the other two Earp brothers, although Sam Elliot is my favorite of the two. And, of course, my loyalty to Joshua has numbed my affinity for Val Kilmer, but I still think he's great. Plus, he's got some of the best lines.
I'm your Huckleberry.

2 comments:

Carina said...

It sounds like a lot of fun! We have done some crazy things before that others would think are a waste of time. But you know when you have had a good time with your family and that the fond memories will last longer than the car ride. I hope you get to see it open sometime though. And now you are making me want to check out this movie, that is a pretty good list of actors.

Lori said...

I'm so glad the town of Tombstone is so smart. Can't stand that Kevin. It sounds like fun. That would be a thing that James would like to go see too. Maybe next time we come down.