Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Got Checked Out....

....but not in a good way.

I should be cleaning my house, washing laundry and doing the dishes, but evidently I've dubbed tonight "Catch Up Night." So, enjoy the next several posts and pictures and then be sure to post on Bloggest Loser.

So, Monday I had a dentist appointment. For whatever reason, I found it imperative to get every medical thing caught up this summer. Matt had his heart check up, we all got our eyes checked, and now we've all been to the dentist.

I'm not too proud to admit that we've been very slothful about getting to the dentist. In fact, Matt had never been before today. Josh and I have both had tooth pain over the last few years, but we didn't have good enough insurance to justify going. Now we do, so we did.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the easiest patient to attend to. Here are how some of my conversation with the dentist's assistant went:

Assistant: When was your last dental check up?
Me: I don't know. I think it was sometime in this century.

Assistant: Do you have any tooth pain?
Me: Yeah, for about five years I haven't been able to chew on the left side of my mouth. I think there might be an issue there.

Me: (20 minutes after the first question) Oh, I remember my last check up. It was 2001. {I remembered this because Emma was just a few months old and the lady at the front desk told me I was pregnant and wouldn't do x-rays. I laughed and told her I better not be because my baby was just a few months old..... I was pregnant. I found out about a month or two later when Emma was 6 months old and I was 3 months pregnant.}

After the appointment:

Assistant: You have some work that needs to be done. We can combine the work and get you done sooner.
Me: Yes, let's do it all in one appointment.
Assistant: You'll have to do it in a minimum of two appointments.
Me: Why?
Assistant: Because you need work done on the left and right sides of your mouth. The doctor can't numb your whole mouth at the same time.
Me: Oh. I have that much work to do? I'm awesome.

One of the office girls offered another a piece of candy. She didn't want it, but asked if I wanted anything. I told her, "No, thank you. Evidently, I have a mouthful of decay, so I shouldn't eat sugar."

So, today I got the worst of it done. Tomorrow I'll do the rest of it. Oh boy. I can't wait. This had better be the worst visit we ever have. Luckily, our insurance covers check ups 100%, so we have no excuses now.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That totally stinks. I don't think I ever went to the dentist until I was pregnant with Teagan since James and I were married. We just oculdn't afford it. And when I went I had to get a root canal! Ouch! It makes you not want to ever go back. So... sorry... it stinks...

Jeri Dawn said...

Yeah, apparently teeth are optional. :)...

Merinda Reeder said...

The last time Clinton or I went to the dentist we lived in Utah. But I was married, so it's been since 2001. Teeth are totally optional.