Sunday, July 18, 2010

Date Night vs. The Morgans

Josh and I went on a date yesterday. It was fun. We headed to the dollar theater and watched Date Night. Last weekend we rented Did You Hear About the Morgans from Redbox.
The two movies are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I really liked one (Date Night) and really didn't like the other (The Morgans). However, they have a lot of plot in common.

Here are my recommendations:
Both movies are PG-13 and have some adult material (why do they always have to do that?).




First, let's start with The Morgans because I didn't like it. I had such high hopes for this movie, just based on the cast: Hugh Grant, Sarah Jessica Parker, Sam Elliot, Mary Steenburgen. But, a cast can't carry a bad movie.
The premise is that Hugh and SJP are haughty New Yorkers who are on the splits, witness a murder and have to go into the Witness Protection Program. The main challenge is they have to appear to be a happily married couple while in hiding.
Unfortunately, it's not an uplifting, feel good movie or a tear jerker drama. It's an awkward, creepy movie. Okay, SPOILER ALERT: They split because of infidelity. Selfish, spoiled cheaters do not a cute comedy make. And most of the people in the small town they hide in are portrayed as simpletons that don't always get it.


Date Night. See it. We laughed. A lot. For sure.

Really, it has a great cast: Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, Kristen Wiig, Mark Ruffalo, James Franco, Mila Kunis. I don't want to tell you too much, but a married couple (see above) are stuck in a bit of a marriage rut. In an attempt to have a great night out, they steal another couple's reservation at a fancy restaurant and are mistaken as the other couple who are involved in criminal activities.

It's just funny. I love Tina Fey, who not only can write comedy, but can act it. It's not very often that you find a funny female character, and even less rare to find an actress that can pull it off.

In summary: Don't bother with The Morgans. They can stay hidden in the Witness Protection Program. Rent Date Night. If you like it as much as I did, then you can buy it, like I plan to.

3 comments:

Jabon said...

Coo, thanks for the overview. Date night sounds really good!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I saw date night too - and loved it. I haven't seen the Morgans, but now I don't need to. Its funny how so many of these date movies have similar plots and outcomes, but its all about the writing - and acting. By the way, we saw knight and day recently and really liked it too.

Lori said...

I thought the same about The Morgans. I didn't like it. But I do want to see Date Night. Have for a long time. I hope it comes on DVD soon.