Sunday, March 15, 2009

Surrounded by Girls

I don't know that having three sisters is all that catastrophic for Matt. People make comments all the time of, "Oh, you poor boy! Three sisters! Are they nice to you?" Of course they're not nice to him. They're his sisters. It doesn't matter if he had an additional three brothers, his sisters would still give him a hard time.

But, I think that the overwhelming influence of femininity has helped Matt begin to develop more of his feminine side. He has an obsession with being "cute." He can't be handsome or cool. He has to be cute. If something doesn't make him cute, than he doesn't want anything to do with it.

He's also becoming quite a nurturer. I consider Matt to be my "Manny." Who needs a nanny when you can use Matt the Manny? He's the first to attend to Millie's needs. He sings to her, gives her her pacifier, tries to entertain her, and I think he'd change her diaper if I'd let him. I can easily go take a shower and know that Millie will be okay with Matt.

He's also a helpful personal shopper. But first I have to go into a bit of background. It has been a very long time since I've been able to shop in the regular women's section. I've been a big girl for quite a while. If you've never been forced to buy your clothes from the Women's sizes, let me tell you what it's like. Imagine finding a boat-sail sized piece of cloth with a pattern to rival your grandmother's clothes. Drape it around your large bust, and this is a basic experience shopping in the Women's section. (Actually, my grandmother dresses very well, so think stereotypical.) Trying to find tops to wear to acting competitions was a joke. The styles and cuts were not flattering and Extra Larges in stores like Maurice's (that's the only clothing store in Alamosa besides JC Penneys) were still too small for me, or shrunk way too much after the first washing. This is probably why I always got cast as the mother, or the nun. Anyway, last night we went to the store for a few things for our trip and decided to get some shirts. I was actually able to pick shirts out of the regular women's section--not the big girls! I didn't even realize it until after the fact, but I'm still really excited about it. Anyway, it has been a very, very long time since I've been able to easily wear tops that are a bit form fitting and even flattering. Here's where my personal shopper comes in. Matt looks at me and says, "Wow, your boobs look nice!" Mortified? Me too.

I'm not too worried about Matt's uber estrogen environment. After all, his father has many of these same qualities and he's by far the best husband I've ever had. ;o)

4 comments:

Kayleen said...

HOORAY for exercise!! YAY for you! and you have to love little boys. One of my friends was playing with her three year old son, while she was very pregnant with her next child. The three year old poked her in her "chest" and said W.O.W... I had to laugh! Little boys are the best don't you think?

Celine said...

Aww Matt is so adorable AND cute! ;)
I'm sure he's going to break some hears down the road! :)

Lori said...

I love the boob comment from Matt!! I can picture him saying it!!You know you don't have to worry about him with too much estrogen around him. He's always been into the cars and boy stuff. Sometimes it's really good to have ALL the girls around. It softens them up a lot!!

Tara Dawn said...

You know he's a boy when he's commenting about your boobs. It's an obsession that is embedded so deep in their chromosomes that age does not hide it!

Super congrats for fitting into smaller tops! I am so excited for you and really hope you can keep it up! I need my big sis to be healthy!