Monday, April 12, 2010

Emma's Party 2010

Today was a great day. It started with Emma happily waking up and quickly getting ready for school. It really helped, too, that Abby lost a tooth the night before and quickly got up as well because she was excited to see what the Tooth Fairy brought.


While the girls were at school, I made Emma's birthday cake and then Josh and I frosted it. I was pretty happy with the turn out, even though it wasn't what I meant to happen.



Here's the story:


Emma said she wanted a picture of a sunset and mountains. She also wanted milk chocolate rocks on the cake. I planned in my mind what it was going to look like. But the cake had other ideas. When I pulled the cake out of the pan, it plopped out perfectly.... except for a corner. An entire corner stayed in the pan while the rest of it sat neatly on my wire racks. Ugh! There was no way to really hide it. So, I decided to do a 3-D cake. Josh crafted the mountains and then together we frosted it. How's that for thinking on my feet, eh?



After the girls got out of school we took Emma to Walmart to pick out her present. She needed a new bike and we'd all like to get out and do some biking around here. So, she got one.


Tara and Jabon stopped by for dinner and cake and ice cream. Emma got to choose her dinner. We had pigs in a blanket, scones, and small pasta shells with parmesan cheese. It was quite an eclectic meal. Afterward, Emma opened her present from Aunt Tara and Uncle Jabon. She loved it. In fact, all of the girls loved her gift.
Tara ingeniously picked up an Easter basket with a Precious Moments doll and journal in it. All three girls fought over it. As soon as the two older girls laid down the doll to look at something else, Millie snuck in and snaked the doll away for her own purposes. That happened probably four or five times. So funny.



Overall, it was a wonderful day. I took an idea from Cindy (hope you don't mind, Cindy) and decorated Emma's door for her birthday. There's no backing out now. I've got to keep that tradition. Matt's already told me what color of streamers and sign he wants for his birthday in June.

It was a good day. And now the countdown begins for Abby's birthday. (Only 39 days, in case you needed to know.)

3 comments:

Lori said...

What a wonderful day! I think I'm gonna sneak the idea of decorating the bedroom doors. That's a cute idea!

Again, Happy Birthday Emma! =D

Tara Bennett said...

Sounds like a fabulous bday! I think your cake is divine - the sun with candles is fantastic! You're the best mom EVER! :) Happy Bday to Emma!

Mrs. Bennett said...

You are so much better at making birthday cakes than me. I love it!