Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tax Evasion!

We've begun watching "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" in the evenings. It's a somewhat educational show that is family friendly and it comes on the same time Monday through Friday. I've figured out that there are some subjects that I can get right most of the time: spelling, literature, music, grammar. The subjects that often get me: sciences (any and all), math (the definitions, mostly), and history. I get some of the history questions right, but some baffle me and I have no idea what the answer is. Today I got one right.

There is a running joke in our family. When I was about a sophomore in high school, I was in the family room with my dad and probably some of my siblings. There was some history show on (as there often was when Dad was home) and it mentioned Al Capone. Dad looked up from his newspaper long enough to inform me that when Al Capone was finally arrested, it was not for his gangster activities. Al Capone was arrested for tax evasion. I slightly nodded, but didn't say anything. Dad mumbled to himself, "Ah, gee, Dad, that's interesting. Thanks for telling me that." Dad often mumbled stuff like this to himself, a habit I seemed to have picked up.

Anyway, a few weeks went by and the TV mentioned Al Capone again. Dad, thinking he was going to educate us, said, "Do you know how they finally caught Al Capone." I looked at him, at first thinking he was joking, but then realizing he didn't remember the situation from a few weeks earlier. I happily answered him with a confident, "Tax evasion!" Dad was so impressed that I knew the answer. He began praising me and asked me how in the world I knew that. I told him that I'd learned it from him a few weeks ago. He controlled his beaming as he said, "I'm glad you were listening." So now, anytime Al Capone is mentioned, someone will generally call out, "Tax evasion!"

So on today's episode of "Fifth Grader" when the question of "What was Al Capone arrested for?" I gleefully shouted, "Tax evasion!" Of course, I was alone in the room, so it was more of a pathetic moment, but I knew the answer!

Happy Tax Season, everyone. Hope you've filed yours.

3 comments:

colds1 said...

And due to that same situation, I too have never forgotten Al Capone=Tax Evasion. Thanks, Father Williams!

Merinda Reeder said...

I missed that around the Williams family; but I did know it. Do you know what Al Capone's business card listed as his occupation?
Used Furniture Dealer. cue the movie quote: "We buy furniture from dead people."

Tara Dawn said...

I remember that story and will NEVER forget what he was arrested for!