Friday, April 9, 2010

You Are LITERALLY Killing Me

Let me just begin this rant with this disclaimer:

I love Taylor Swift. I think she is an incredibly talented person. She sings beautifully, she writes her own music, she's beautiful, she accompanies herself on the guitar. All things I wish I could do. Which may be why one of her songs just bugs me. It may just be because I'm a jealous person that wishes I had half of her talents. Maybe it's because of my study and love of Shakespeare. Or because of my other literary studies on college. But the song "Love Story" has made a resurgence on the radio lately and it just makes me crazy.

In case you don't know, the song is about a girl who loves a boy and her father doesn't approve, so she compares them to Romeo and Juliet. Ever read that story? It's not a happy one. It's not a love story, it's a tragedy. I guess you can argue that in the song their story begins like Romeo and Juliet's but it has a very different ending.

Spoiler Alert:

Romeo and Juliet DIE!! They kill themselves. They are spoiled, selfish idiots that kill themselves because their spoiled, selfish parents can't get along. Okay, that may be a little harsh, but the song ends too happily to use Romeo and Juliet as such a central role.

In a not-so-central role is the reference to The Scarlet Letter. Hello? Ever read that one? The song says she's a scarlet letter. I think she means it as something that is taboo or forbidden. In Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel, the scarlet letter is the red letter A that is found on a cloth on Hester Prynne's breast to mark her as an adulterer. I don't think I'd want to be referred to as a scarlet letter, even if I was trying to make some vague reference to a classical novel.

Now, please, don't get me wrong. I really do like Taylor Swift. But this song is proof that I'm a very literal person and things easily bug me.

I'm just saying.

6 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

I love that you gave a spoiler alert for Romeo and Juliet.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of The Swift. And that song BUGS. :)

Lori said...

HOLY CRAP!!! I always thought that song was dumb! The first time I heard it I noticed the scarlet letter part and thought she didn't have any idea what she was singing! I like most of her songs, but this one is definitely not one that I like.

colds1 said...

Have you heard the rendition of "Love Story" sung with Def Leppard?

I have never liked Romeo and Juliet nor understood people's fascination with them. My version of true love is nothing like their story!

Tara Bennett said...

Mrs. VanDyke would be proud ;0)

photomama said...

I think Taylor must have missed the memo on R&J during her high school english class! Yeah...because she's like 20 and has been so busy with music that I highly doubt she's gone to college to get into the more deep analysis of English Lit. I will have to listen to the song closer to hear the Scarlet Letter part...I guess I kinda tune out the song 'cause it sometimes bugs.
The song that I DO love of her's is the one about writing the love song on the napkin.

Tara Dawn said...

Thank you, I have thought the same thing about the scarlet letter reference! And the Romeo and Juliet reference, but I let that one slide. Plus, I think she is just a so-so singer that is going to have a hard time transitioning to the 'adult' lyrics. Ya know, writing a song that doesn't include saying anything about high school.